The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Laboratory Technician, at Seed Health Laboratory to objectively support the laboratory lead and team, perform seed health tests for the detection of fungi and viruses and develop some other activities in the Laboratory area.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Support the implementation of new diagnostic protocols including molecular tests for the detection of a wide range of wheat and maize pathogens.
- Support the preparation of testing reports to SENASICA according to to set requirements and ensure they are well stored in existing databases.
- Perform seed health tests for the detection of fungi and viruses and assist with tests for bacteria transmitted by wheat and maize seeds according to procedures established in ISO 17025:2017 and SOPs of the laboratory.
- Support the laboratory lead and team in maintaining and complying with ISO 17025:2017, SOPs in the laboratory, and the legal requirements of the General Direction of the Mexican Phytosanitary Office of SENASICA-SAGARPA.
- Ensure that laboratory reagents are used well, are available when needed, and that the lab equipment under her/his use is regularly serviced.
- Support the review of seed production nurseries at CIMMYT experimental stations or approved sites.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Bachelor or higher degree in biological sciences.
- Knowledgeable in microbiology, microscopy, and molecular techniques in a phytosanitary laboratory, especially detection protocols for plant pathogenic fungi, viruses, and bacteria using morphological, biochemical, and molecular methods.
- Must be currently certified by SENASICA as a “Tercero Especialista Fitosanitario” (TEF) in both mycology and virology and in the case where one area is missing, commit to gaining the certification within 12 months.
- Must have training in ISO 17025:2017 and experience in a laboratory accredited with the standard.
- Must be fluent in Spanish with working knowledge of English.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Organization, Critical thinking, Teamwork, Client Orientation, Problem Solving decision-making, Negotiation, and Conflict resolution.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law, our package of benefits includes a year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, and social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.