The Corporate Communications department of the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is seeking a candidate for a one-year, paid consultancy.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) is the global leader in publicly-funded maize and wheat research and related farming systems. Headquartered near Mexico City, CIMMYT works with hundreds of partners throughout the developing world to sustainably increase the productivity of maize and wheat cropping systems, thus improving global food security and reducing poverty. CIMMYT is a member of the CGIAR System and leads the CGIAR Research Programs on Maize and Wheat, and the Excellence in Breeding Platform. The Center receives support from national governments, foundations, development banks and other public and private agencies.
The Junior Communications Consultant, Digital will be based in the organization’s global headquarters in Texcoco, 40 km outside of Mexico City. Because of the COVID-19 pandemic, she/he will start working remotely, but will shift to in-office work once it is safe.
She/he will work full-time in the following duties:
- Manage CIMMYT’s social media accounts
- Create and post engaging social media content
- Coordinate online campaigns around international days, events and conferences
- Track social media indicators and write monthly and yearly reports
- Support the development and the implementation of CIMMYT’s online strategy
- Write scripts, record, produce, edit and publish podcast episodes
- Write, edit and proof articles for the website, the intranet, annual reports and other channels
- Draft and edit content for brochures, posters, presentations and publications
- Support content management on the website and the intranet
- Assist in the planning and implementation of CIMMYT special events
- Monitor media for CIMMYT mentions and agricultural development-related articles
- Give workshops and training on social media for CIMMYT scientists and staff
- Other tasks as required
The ideal candidate will be able to commit for at least one year. She/he will have an undergraduate degree (preferably in communications and/or journalism) and a proven interest in social media and online platforms. Excellent writing and editing skills in English are essential. Experience with Adobe Creative Cloud (Photoshop/Lightroom and Audition in particular) would be a strong asset. Knowledge of Spanish, science, agriculture and agricultural development would be an advantage.
CIMMYT offers junior consultants a monthly stipend paid in US dollars and an airline ticket to and from Mexico. CIMMYT will assist in obtaining necessary travel documents, including a visa.
To apply, please email a letter of interest, a resume, two writing samples and contact information for two references to Rodrigo Ordonez, Communications Manager, r.ordonez [at] cgiar.org no later than Wednesday March 31st, 2021.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer and strives for staff diversity in gender and nationality.