The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, focused on increasing food security and reducing poverty at an international scale. Please refer to our website for more information www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking for a dynamic, and self-motivated professional with excellent organizational and people skills for the position of Industrial Engineer. This position will manage and provide technical support and be the direct report for the engineers employed by CSISA-MEA at hub offices in Bogura, Faridpur and Jashore. This will include supporting them to write their annual staff appraisal reports.
The position holder will report to the CSISA-MEA Project manager and will be given technical support and guidance by the Georgia Tech engineering specialist.
- The Industrial Engineer will work closely with the following personnel:
- Training coordinator: will provide technical support on the content of training programs designed by the CSISA-MEA training team and partner training service providers.
- MSME Market systems development Specialist/Manager: will provide engineering technical support and input for agreements with machinery manufacturers; to provide engineering technical support for the monitoring and evaluation of these agreements.
- The MEL and market systems monitoring team: will support them as they monitor the impact of machinery adoption on market actor and farmer’s livelihoods. This will include technical engineering support for the design of surveys and survey questionnaires.
- The communications coordinator to report on project activities through the writing of success stories and other media output and to provide engineering technical editing of documents whenever required.
- Any consultants working with CSISA-MEA on manufacturing process design activities.
- The Industrial Engineer will support the CSISA-MEA team of engineers on the following tasks:
- Selection of processing equipment and design of manufacturing systems and factories to improve efficiency and productivity of MSME companies in the agricultural manufacturing sector.
- Support development of links to markets for machines or machine components; installation and commissioning of new machines; and identification of training, financial and technical support needs for MSMEs in the agricultural manufacturing sector.
- Provide machinery suppliers, dealers and service providers with technical and training support. This will include support for (i) training curricula and training material development and (ii) monitoring and evaluation of agreements between CSISA-MEA and machinery market systems actors.
- Identify, map and analyse machinery materials and component supply chains to identify how these can be improved. Implement recommendations in partnership with market actors.
- Identify and design labour and cost saving machinery for agricultural operations. Machinery for all types of crop and livestock systems including production, storage and processing should be considered.
- Conduct research into the performance of new machines (i) to support their marketing by companies and (ii) to support the design of modifications to existing and new machines.
- Develop business cases for the marketing of new machines that show companies their market potential and cost savings for farmers.
- The Industrial Engineer will provide the project manager with inputs for weekly, six monthly, and annual reports.
Bachelor’s degree in engineering or agricultural engineering. A master’s degree in engineering, preferably with a specialization in industrial engineering, or business management.
At least 7 years post graduate work experience in engineering. Private sector work experience is essential. Work experience in light engineering and machine manufacture preferred. Experience of supply chain management desirable. International experience in the engineering sector is an advantage.
Period of Employment
August 2020 to September 2024
The position is for Bangladesh Nationals for an initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, with a three-month initial probationary period, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT will provide a nationally competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive health and life insurance, paid vacation, contributions to a retirement plan, and a range of other benefits as required by Bangladesh law.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV no later than Sunday 06 Sep, 2020 to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: CIM-Recruitment-BD@cgiar.org) Please indicate Position Name & Job Ref no- B20143 in the subject of your email.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to CIM-Recruitment-BD@cgiar.org