The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a proactive, highly skilled, innovative, and self-motivated professional for the position of Financial Analyst. This position has a critical role in enhancing the impact of CIMMYT’s work. The position reports to the CIMMYT Global Senior Financial Manager at CIMMYT’s HQ in Texcoco Mexico and will be responsible for finance and accounting activities related to process to reporting calendar duties and responsibilities. The financial analyst is responsible for providing timely and efficient accounting support to CIMMYT Program activities in Mexico and other countries, working very closely with other Accountants, HQ departments, and the Finance Program Administrators to ensure that accounting processes and internal control procedures work as per required high standards.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
Cash Flow statement monthly reports
- Prepare and report to HQ Treasury Department Cash Flow Statements for RO and Experimental Stations once monthly closing is finished.
- Prepare and report to HQ Treasury Department Fx transaction reports as well as Excel files within analysis related to currency position per RO.
- Review and report to Treasury Department and GFS Senior manager the matrix controls related to Treasury processes in RO and ES.
- Prepared specific reports required by Treasury Department, GFS Senior Finance Manager according to any strategy or compliance control required.
- Other activities related to continuous improvement for Treasury department requirements.
Support to Accounting Processes
- “Scrutinize and overview that proper support documentation is attached in QB Cloud and official share points from HQ Departments”.
- Ensure proper recording of financial transactions into Quick Books or any ERP.
- Supervise monthly consolidation and submission of monthly reports from RO to HQ Finance Departments.
- Ensure that proper numbering and filing of financial and accounting records were prepared.
- Generate monthly a record of all transactions entered during the month and ensure errors are corrected in time.
- Facilitate independent work of auditors when undergoing an audit and prepare management response to the auditor recommendations, in compliance with donor rules and regulations; ensure follow up of auditor recommendations and CIMMYT Finance Compliance Department.
- Conduct a weekly, biweekly, and monthly review of balances with a view to reconcile them according to CIMMYT accounting best practices, policies, and procedures.
- Analyze, reconcile, and follow-up staff personal accounts to ensure compliance with CIMMYT policies, procedures, and controls.
- Supporting in preparation of and attending RO finance team meetings while providing backup on project financial matters
- Participate in all required for monthly, quarterly, and annual closing processes requested by Finance Director and Finance Managers teams.
- Supervise that RO sends timely all direct and indirect tax requirements and ensure VAT recovery with the respective tax authorities according to monthly checklist.
- Special projects and activities requested for HQ Finance Departments and RO Finance departments..
Monthly Balance Sheet Reconciliation and reporting activities
- “Review travel claims/advance and ensure timely submission and processing of advances and legalization that must be reported to HQ on monthly basis. Report to CC and GFS Senior Manager any deviation to CIMMYT policies.”
- Report on weekly, monthly, and bi-monthly periods the AP reports into working capital operations and Cash-Flow statement analysis.
- Review, prepare and submit to Monthly Balance Sheet Reconciliations (BSAR) and other internal control requirements as dictated by CIMMYT HQ and/or supervisor.
- Request support of statutory Tax returns and ensure compliance with all statutory requirements including VAT tax refunds, etc. for every RO, that is supervised for this financial analyst.
- Other activities related to continuous improvement for Internal controls, financial compliance, and other department requirements involved with BS reconciliation activities.
Bank reconciliations & Cash management compliance
- Apply the internal controls related to cash management for petty cash, temporary labor payroll payments, and other authorized by DOA disbursements in cash.
- Surprisingly carry out physical petty cash counts at the regional office, experiment stations, and at sites where the RO has research activities and has opened a fixed fund.
- Other projects and activities requested for HQ Departments and RO departments requested for HQ Departments and RO departments.
Participate and report activities in special projects that the Finance Unit from HQ requires monthly, quarterly, and Annually
- Physical counts of fixed assets.
- Annual reports of payments to NARS and Collaborators.
- Annual report of Leasing contracts to comply with IAS-16.
- Annual Support to provide information to HQ Financial Planning Dept. for annual budget compliance and reports.
- Other activities and projects requested by Finance Unit from HQ.
Workforce success factors
- Customer orientation and focus on process efficiency and efficacy are indispensable.
- Financial businesses partner with other departments to propose changes and improvements in local processes and activities.
- “Ability to learn new accounting and project management processes”.
- Skills to train other employees on ERP issues, policies, procedures, etc. related to CIMMYT internal control and compliance.
- Contribute to promoting the CIMMYT compliance related to antifraud actions and procedures.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- The selected candidate must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting.
- The selected candidate must have at least five years of experience working in a similar role in Transnational Organizations or Global Companies.
- Having a Master’s Degree in Accounting or related qualification (MBA, Finance, Taxes) will represent an advantage.
- The selected candidate must have experience working with Non-for-profit environments and Funder/Donor regulatory environment and processes.
- The selected candidate must have experience in computerized accounting and knowledge of Quick Books and ERP environments (NetSuite, Dynamics AX, Business ONE, etc.).
- “In addition to the above, the candidate is it highly considered if the candidate has a valid membership certificate of any of the following professional accounting bodies or similar bodies: CPA, CMA, CIS, ACCA or CIMA in Mexico. “
- The selected candidate must show an expertise level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.)
- Willingness to travel.
- The selected candidate must show knowledge managing Financial Systems, ERP’s, databases, data extraction methods, report presentations, and analytical skills. Experience in the usage of MS Dynamics is desirable.
- Intermediate level of English (written and conversational). English will be tested and candidates should score a minimum of B2 on CEFR.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical Thinking, Creative thinking, Communication, Teamwork, Client Orientation, Problem Solving, and decision-making, and Negotiation-conflict resolution.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law, our package of benefits includes a year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.