The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an experienced professional to support the Cereal Systems Initiative for South Asia (www.csisa.org) project funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation and the US Agency for International Development. CSISA is CIMMYT’s flagship for sustainable intensification in South Asia and incorporates programming across the innovation to impact continuum in Nepal, Bangladesh, and selected states in India.
We are looking to cover four positions for the following locations Nepal: Dhangadi, Dang, and Nepalgunj (2 positions). Will require frequent field travel (subject to mobility and risk assessment due to COVID-19).
Major duties and responsibilities
- Implementing and maintaining experimental trials in collaboration with farmers, project personnel, and public and private sector collaborators.
- Helping operate, maintain, and repair appropriate farm machinery.
- Accurate and timely data collection on soil, crop, and other associated parameters—including standard soil and crop laboratory measurements, and frequent data entry using Excel.
- Assist in collecting M&E data at the field level.
- Providing project personnel with frequent data summaries, graphing, and statistical analysis
- Assisting project personnel to develop training modules and outreach materials
- Coordinating, and often leading, technical training and demonstrations for farmers and service providers
- Coordinating and ensuring smooth logistics for field days/other community outreach events
- Maintaining good communication links with all key project personnel as well as farmers and public-private sector partners
- Managing data as specified by the Supervisor, Field Coordinator, and Project team
- Preparing data and research reports
- Undertaking other project-related tasks as needed
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- The post holder is required to have a bachelor’s degree or equivalent knowledge in Agriculture or equivalent.
- The position requires minimum work experience of 1-3 years / 4 field seasons at a similar position after the professional degree.
- Thorough knowledge of the field of work or specialized equipment.
- Basic knowledge of administrative and/or operating protocols and procedures of the research support function.
- Basic Supervisory skills and experience.
- Ability to analyze complex data, carry out, and explain computations or to resolve complex problems.
- Identifying options based on research and consideration of their consequences.
- Provides inputs into the decision making on complex problems.
- Frequent contact with people other than immediate colleagues, but mostly within CIMMYT.
- The ability to communicate and relate effectively with others is very important.
- The local language used at the post. Fair English skills: read and respond appropriately to correspondence, orally, and in writing. Ability to prepare regularly used documents and reports without assistance.
- Sufficient competency to use the standard Windows-based software for word processing, spreadsheets, presentations, and email used at CIMMYT.
- Ability to effectively use corporate systems and other specialized applications.
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter to Recruit-Nepal@cgiar.org no later than September 20th, 2020.
Please include the position and reference number in the subject of your email, depending on the location of your interest. The number of the positions are as follows: N20152 and N20153 (for Nepalgunj positions); N20154 (Dhangadi); N20155 (Dang).
Incomplete applications (without CV and cover letter) will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org