The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking two dynamic and self-motivated early career researchers with cereal breeding/genetics experience to join the CIMMYT global wheat improvement team working in collaboration with various national and international partners to develop adapted wheat germplasm for wheat growing environments of Asia, Africa, and Latin America. The positions will be integrated within the wheat breeding team and will work across projects funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation (BMGF), USAID and the UK Foreign and Commonwealth Development Office (FCDO). The roles will both contribute to CIMMYT’s global wheat breeding, with a focus on applying modern breeding approaches to accelerate genetic gains for grain yield together with disease resistance, climate resilience, nutrition, and processing quality relevant to targeted product profiles and market segments. Both candidates will also be encouraged to pursue and develop interests in specific aspects of applied plant breeding of relevance to improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
The positions will be based at CIMMYT headquarter in Texcoco, near Mexico City with regular national and international travel required.
- Work as an integral member of the CIMMYT wheat breeding team including the development, testing and use of modern breeding strategies and methods to achieve accelerated genetic gain in breeding populations.
- Contribute across wheat breeding activities including rapid cycling, phenotypic and genomic selection, agronomic and disease resistance phenotyping.
- Contribute to phenotypic and genotypic data management and analysis.
- Work across and collaborate with scientists in wheat pathology, quality, molecular biology and biometrics.
- Develop and test new ideas and techniques for optimizing breeding and application in breeding pipelines and expand the current connections between disciplines contributing to breeding progress.
- Support the delivery of high-quality applied wheat training and other capacity development activities with partners and stakeholders in Asia, Africa and Latin America.
- Synthesize and present work (scientific and technical findings) as project-related reports and scientific publications in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Contribute to the global wheat community and represent CIMMYT at national and international forums.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Strong interest in applied field-based wheat breeding.
- A recent PhD degree in breeding or genetics, preferably with experience in wheat or other cereals.
- Practical experience in plant breeding and knowledge of the use of modern breeding methods.
- Statistical skills, knowledge of electronic data collection, databases, data management and interpretation.
- An ability to communicate and collaborate effectively and build capacity.
- Demonstrated capacity to publish research findings in reputable peer-reviewed journals and to present in scientific and/or technical forums.
- Desire and ability to work collaboratively and respectfully and inclusively in a diverse, multicultural, multidisciplinary work environment.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical Thinking and Creative Thinking, Communication, Teamwork, Client Orientation, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution and Team Leadership.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22114-15_ Early Career Researchers-Wheat Breeding (Post-Doctoral Fellows/Associate Scientists).
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, April 25th, 2022. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.