The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® (www.cimmyt.org), is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries. We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, nongovernmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
CIMMYT is hosted by World Agroforestry (ICRAF), a member of the CGIAR that is headquartered on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya. We invite you to learn more about CIMMYT and World Agroforestry by accessing our web sites: www.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org CIMMYT is looking for a Data and Informatics Manager. The Data and Informatics Manager will Support breeding programs by collecting and validating data obtained in breeding activities and providing support for the use of breeding data management related software and hardware.
The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Data management
- Perform plant breeding data management operation.
- Assist in the development and implementation of a strategic plan for adoption of software, digitization and standardized protocols.
- Provide data management support for targeted breeding programs in crop breeding networks (CGIAR, NARES, SMEs).
- Prepare training materials.
- Provide onsite training workshops on breeding data management system.
- Support network breeding programs.
- Offer training in the use of breeding information management-related software.
- Contribute to organizing and delivering OneCGIAR training programs in data management.
- Local and International Support
- Provide on-site support for the use of breeding information management-related software as well as hardware such as tablets, printers, and barcode scanners.
- Support the integration of roles and projects into the new OneCGIAR global units.
- Support network breeding programs.
Required qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters in Computer Science/Statistics/Biometrics/Plant Sciences.
- Basic knowledge of administrative and/or operating protocols and procedures of research support function.
- Knowledge of relational data management systems and demonstrated ability to extract data and navigate systems; knowledge of systems used in the CGIAR (e.g., BMS).
- 3 to 5 years’ experience in using and supporting breeding data management systems such as BMS.
- Experience in implementing data management systems, pedigree management and understanding of data side of plant breeding activities (nursery, yield trial, disease trial, etc.).
- Experience in developing annual work plans of project implementation.
- Experience in use of breeding informatics applications such as Fieldbook and Breeding View.
- A high degree of personal organization and ability to work under pressure.
- Ability to work with different nationalities and disciplines as a member of a diverse work team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Knowledge of database will be a plus.
- Personal attributes and competencies:
- Have ability to read and understand work instructions or manuals.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and external contacts on routine work-related matters.
- Proficiency in using standard software’s an advanced level.
- Advanced skills in Windows Operating System, LAN, and Internet.
- Complex use of Simple systems.
- Have supervisory skills.
- Ability to analyze complex data, carry out and explain computations or to resolve complex problems.
- Ability to identify Identifying options based on research and consideration of their consequences.
- Ability to provides inputs into decision making on complex problems.
Terms and conditions
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position and on competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience. The appointment will be for a period of 2 years, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
Go to http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies to find the announcement and to directly apply, please click here
The application deadline for this position of Data and Informatics Manager, K22155 is 23 September 2022.
CV and Cover Letter should be in PDF and Labelled with the applicants First and Second Names.
We will acknowledge all applications but will only contact short-listed candidates.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
To apply for this job please visit recruit.zohopublic.com.