International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for an outstanding, self-motivated, and result-oriented professional for the position Data and Informatics Manager to work in the CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) program. This incumbent will be working on data management and informatics need of One CGIAR crops projects and assist CGIAR and NARS crop breeding networks in various research data project management activities and project coordination under leadership of Regional Breeding Informatics Lead.
The position will be based at Hyderabad, India.
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Contribute as a member of OneCGIAR global breeding informatics group to provide data management support for targeted breeding programs in crop breeding networks (CGIAR, NARES, SMEs).
- Support network breeding programs to develop and implement best practice & data management workflows.
- Providing onsite training workshops on breeding data management system (Like BMS, EBS etc.) and other digitalization tools.
- Help in the development and implementation of a strategic plan for adoption of software, digitization, and standardized protocols.
- Perform plant breeding data management operation.
- Contribute to organizing and delivering OneCGIAR training programs in data management including BMS, barcoding, digitalization, and other related topics.
- Commit to continuous improvement in skills related to data management.
- Commit to continuous improvement to meet the service and operational needs of a modern breeding program.
- Support the integration of roles and projects into the new OneCGIAR global units
We are seeking candidates with the following qualification, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s degree in computer science / Statistics / Biometrics / Plant Sciences with direct experience in using and supporting breeding data management systems such as BMS.
- Experience in implementing data management systems, pedigree management and understanding of data side of plant breeding activities (nursery, yield trial, disease trial, etc.).
- Experience in developing annual work plans of project implementation.
- Knowledge of relational data management systems and demonstrated ability to extract data and navigate systems; knowledge of systems used in the CGIAR (e.g., BMS).
- Experience in uses of breeding informatics applications such as Fieldbook and Breeding View.
- Demonstrated experience supporting breeders in established best practice on use of data management tools for various stages of plant breeding.
- Experience in implementing plant breeding databases and modernization initiatives.
- Experience working within international organizations or multicultural organizations desired.
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Teamwork, Communication and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term contract of 3 years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package, with a range of benefits including health insurance.
Interested candidates must apply online here for IN22186_Data and Informatics Manager, no later than Tuesday, November 8th, 2022. Applications must include a CV (with last drawn salary, salary expectations and notice period) and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity.