The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Communications Officer to be based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position and is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records. This position will support on-going research activities in Zimbabwe and collaborating projects in the Southern Africa region as needed. The incumbent will work under the supervision of scientists in the Zimbabwe Office with support from Communications staff in Kenya and Ethiopia and the HQ Communications team.
- Work with project partners to develop, produce, and use relevant extension and training materials (flyers, posters, infographics, videos, etc.) for target communities (farmers, and agricultural extension personnel) and project events (demonstrations, field days).
- Develop project brochures and technical bulletins.
- Document and communicate project news, updates, and stories for wider dissemination in Zimbabwe, and globally.
- Participates in sourcing goods and services from the vendors and consultants in projects including print, photography, and video production.
- Document high-interest stories for dissemination in suitable formats (interviews, photographs, and video) to various target audiences.
- As required, travel to document CIMMYT’s work on the ground, including field visits and taking still and video photography.
- Assist scientists in preparing scientific posters, presentations, and other materials.
- Publish and disseminate project results in various forms – print, digital, video or audio.
- Support networking and engagement activities with other actors in Zimbabwe – as a specific contribution to the project’s wider alignment and scaling objectives.
- Support innovative use of information, communication and knowledge-based interventions and approaches across projects, making use of, for example, participatory communication approaches, emerging ICTs, and working with partners in these areas.
- Oversee the activities related to the production of high-quality communications materials, including digital content, annual reports and reviews, newsletters, etc.
- Liaise with CIMMYT HQ communications team to share project updates and stories.
- Perform other duties as directed by supervisors.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Master’s degree in Communication, Knowledge Management, Journalism or related; or bachelor’s degree in these fields with compensatory years of experience.
- At least 5 years relevant experience, with experience in a development, research, corporate or international environment.
- Fluency in English, Shona and/or Ndebele; working knowledge of other local languages is desirable.
- Demonstrated project management skills, excellent interpersonal and networking skills.
- Basic knowledge of and skills in desktop publishing, HTML, photography, and photo editing.
- Experience in supporting communications and/or media relations in agricultural research for development is an added advantage.
- Experience in agriculture and developmental field in the country and/or region highly desirable.
- Experience managing multiple projects with teams and/or external vendors on tight deadlines.
- Ability to present and package scientific information into various formats to suit specialist and non-specialist audiences.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Problem Solving and Decision Making, Creative Thinking, Negotiation and Conflict Resolution, Communication and Client Orientation.
To apply, please submit your application to the following e-mail address: CIMMYT-Zimbabwe@cgiar.org the closing date for receipt of applications is 11th February 2022. Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained and expected remuneration. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. . Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job email your details to CIMMYT-Zimbabwe@cgiar.org