We are looking for a highly skilled and experienced communication professional to join the CGIAR System Organization. Reporting to the Senior Advisor, Executive Management Team, the Communications Officer will support the effective management of communications related to the One CGIAR transition.
This is an exciting time to be joining the System Organization as CGIAR undertakes a transformation into a more integrated “One CGIAR” that will allow us to achieve greater impact with our research. One CGIAR is a dynamic reformulation of CGIAR’s partnerships, knowledge, assets, and global presence in key areas where innovation is needed to deliver on the Sustainable Development Goals by 2030. It is centered around collaborating more closely in a way that enables us to deploy scientific innovations faster, on a larger scale, and at a reduced cost so that they can have a greater impact where they are needed the most. The transition to One CGIAR will have profound implications on the way CGIAR and its constituent parts are structured and operate: with unified governance, an integrated structure, a new research modality, and more pooled funding, One CGIAR will be better positioned to achieve its mission. Joining CGIAR offers an excellent opportunity to contribute to a world free of poverty, hunger, and environmental degradation.
THIS IS AN INTERNAL VACANCY OPEN TO CURRENT EMPLOYEES/PERSONNEL OF CGIAR CENTERS/ALLIANCES AND ENTITIES ONLY.
In November 2019, the CGIAR System Council endorsed the recommendations of the CGIAR System Reference Group (SRG) for a bold reconfiguration of CGIAR’s mission, governance, operational structure, partnerships, as well as research and funding modalities as a unified and integrated ‘One CGIAR’.
As a key step towards the implementation of those recommendations, the CGIAR System Management Board appointed a CGIAR Executive Management Team (EMT), with effect from 1 September 2020, to provide coordinated leadership of next steps in the transition to One CGIAR.
The Communications Officer, working closely with the Project Manager for the One CGIAR Transition, the Communications Function and with experts across CGIAR, supports the EMT with effective, tailored, and interactive communications and engagement with CGIAR’s internal and external stakeholders on the transition to One CGIAR as part of a comprehensive change management approach.
This position requires a highly effective and dynamic communication professional with experience in tailored, innovative, and interactive communications in the context of organizational change. Excellent interpersonal and organizational skills and an ability to deliver in a complex, multi-stakeholder environment are essential for this role.
- Working closely with the Project Manager for the One CGIAR transition, as well as communications experts across CGIAR and the leads of the relevant transition workstreams, periodically review and propose updates to the communications milestones, activities, and associated resource requirements as part of the One CGIAR transition plan
- Working closely with the Project Manager as well as experts across CGIAR, develop, strengthen, and implement processes, practices, tools, and metrics to continuously monitor progress and outcomes across the planned communications activities, including stakeholder feedback.
- Identify needs for external expertise and support, consulting with the System Organization’s Finance and Procurement functions and the Project Manager to ensure timely procurement of resource required, in compliance with relevant procurement policies and processes.
- Lead the development, strengthening, and delivery of effective, regular broadcast communications on the One CGIAR transition, working in collaboration with the System Organization’s ICT and communications teams to leverage relevant digital assets (external and internal websites, social media, newsletters, virtual ‘town hall’ meetings, etc.).
- Provide direct, timely, and high-quality communication support to the EMT’s broadcast communications on the transition, including developing, writing, editing, and reviewing high-quality concept notes, briefings, speeches and speaking points, key messages, presentations, briefs, blogs, op-eds, bios, videos, social media messages and tool kits, and other collateral materials as required.
- Foster and contribute to highly collaborative teamwork and communication within the unit, the System Management Office, and across the CGIAR System as a whole; proactively participating in knowledge and capacity building initiatives to support the delivery of the Organization’s business and work plans.
Joining CGIAR offers an excellent opportunity to contribute to a world free of poverty, hunger, and environmental degradation.
Qualifications, Skills, and Experience
- A Bachelor’s Degree or equivalent in Communications, Business Administration, International Development or related field (a Masters’ degree or equivalent is an advantage)
- Significant experience (indicatively 5-8 years) in communications in a context of organizational change
- Experience in international development/ agricultural or environmental research is an advantage
- Excellent, demonstrated change-related communication skills, with an ability to distill complex information into clear, tailored messages to a range of different audiences
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office software packages, with skills in desktop publishing and WordPress being an advantage
- Excellent written and oral communication, editing, and reporting skills in English. Working knowledge of French, Spanish, Arabic, or another major language that enhances effective collaboration across CGIAR is an advantage
- Excellent interpersonal skills – a team player with excellent communication, diplomatic, and influencing skills and the ability to establish and foster effective working relationships in a multi-cultural, multi-disciplinary, and complex environment
- A problem solver who can think outside the box
- Able to adapt to change, navigate ambiguity, and take initiative
- Highest work ethics and integrity; inspires trust and credibility; respects diversity and difference i.e. ability and willingness to work in and promote diverse multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary environments
A detailed job description is available here.
The selected candidate will be employed by the CGIAR System Organization if based in Montpellier, France; or will be hosted or seconded by another CGIAR Center/Alliance if based elsewhere. The modalities for engagement will be determined in consultation with the successful candidate and the relevant Center/Alliance as necessary.
The CGIAR System Organization is an equal opportunity employer and offers competitive compensation with favorable taxation arrangements (as applicable in the location) and, subject to eligibility, comprehensive employee benefits comprising extensive insurance coverage, a retirement plan, an education grant, and relocation support at the start of the appointment and upon conclusion of appointment for staff members and eligible dependents. All benefits are denominated and paid in Euros if based in France or mapped to the employing CGIAR Center/Alliance compensation package if based elsewhere.
System Organization appointments are typically for a fixed term of 3 years, with a possibility of renewal subject to the System Organization’s needs and funding.
Submitting Your Application
All applications should be submitted online to be assessed through our automated recruitment and selection system. If you require assistance or face challenges in submitting your application, please send an email to SMO-HR@cgiar.org with the position title in the subject line. Please note, we will not accept applications through this email.
Please ensure that your resume and cover letter do not contain your marital status, age, or photograph, and are in English. Documents provided in a language other than English will not be considered.
Candidates are required to provide at least 3 referees we can contact (name, organization and position, relationship to you, telephone number, and email). At least 2 of the provided referees must be a former or a current direct supervisor. Referees will only be contacted with the prior consent of the candidate and all reference checks are treated as strictly confidential.
CGIAR is committed to fair, safe, and inclusive workplaces. We believe that diversity powers our innovation, contributes to our excellence, and is critical for our mission. We offer a multi-cultural, multi-color, multi-generational and multi-disciplinary, collegial working environment, with a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and flexible working arrangements. We are consciously creating an inclusive organization that reflects our global character and our commitment to gender equity. We, therefore, encourage applicants from all cultures, races, ethnicities, religions, sexes, national or regional origins, ages, disability status, sexual orientations, and gender identities. If you require accommodation due to a disability, please email your request to SMO-HR@cgiar.org and include “Diversity and Inclusion Accommodation” in the subject line.
All received applications will be acknowledged; however, only shortlisted applicants will be contacted.
Closing Date for Applications: 22 December 2020.
To apply for this job please visit www.cgiar.org.