The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) (www.excellenceinbreeding.org) is a cross-commodity platform that supports the modernization of breeding programs targeting Africa, Asia, and Latin America for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation and development. By providing important outcomes to under-resourced peoples, the CGIAR centers help realize the founding mission of the CGIAR system – they target low-and-middle-income countries for greater impact on food and nutrition security, climate change adaptation, and development.
The Platform is part of the new CGIAR portfolio of research programs and platforms (www.cgiar.org/our-strategy) and is led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, a not-for-profit research, and training organization with partners in over 100 countries (www.cimmyt.org).
The CGIAR Excellence in Breeding Platform (EiB) is recruiting a Biometrician. This position will be responsible for supporting biometrics needs for One CGIAR breeding programs and collaborating NARS partners with focus on breeding programs in South Asia, ESA, and WCA.
This incumbent will provide statistical analysis services for germplasm advancement and parental selection, crop simulation for breeding optimization decisions, estimation of realized and predicted genetic gains, and other data analytic support to breeders throughout the breeding cycle.
The position will be based in Hyderabad, India.
- Contribute as a member of OneCGIAR global breeding informatics group to provide data analytics support for targeted programs in implementing agreed best practice in:
- Design and analysis of agricultural research experiments.
- Biometrics support in implementation of Genomic Selection (GS).
- Use of simulation for quantitative genetics informed breeding scheme optimization.
- Generation of estimates of genetic gain and other key performance indicators.
- Support breeding programs to develop and implement best practice data management workflows.
- Support harmonization of standards in experimental design, simulation, and biometrics across OneCGIAR.
- Contribute to organizing and delivering OneCGIAR training programs in statistical design, data analysis, data management, and other topics within their expertise.
- Commit to continuous improvement in skills related to biometrics and data management.
- Commit to continuous improvement to meet the service and operational needs of a modern breeding program.
- Support the integration of roles and projects into the new OneCGIAR global units.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Masters or PhD degree in Biometrics/Agricultural Statistics/ Statistics. At least 5 years pertinent experience (Masters), or a Ph.D.
- Deep understanding of breeding operational processes and tight breeder timelines, with work experience in a breeding support service unit.
- Extensive experience in implementing proven experimental designs across multiple crops for various breeding purposes (nursery, yield trial, disease trial, etc.).
- Advanced user of statistical software such as SAS, GenStat, R, ASREML-R, etc.
- Experience in implementing established tools and libraries in the AlphaSim-R package to run breeding simulations and optimization analysis.
- Expert knowledge of relational data management systems and demonstrated ability to extract data and navigate systems; knowledge of systems used in the CGIAR (e.g. BMS, Breedbase, GoBii) is a plus.
- Demonstrated experience supporting breeders in analyzing their trial data using established best practice methods including mixed models and multi-location testing, as appropriate for various stages of plant breeding.
- Demonstrated success in supporting breeding program decisions under very tight timelines for advancement and parent selection.
- Experience implementing genomic selection with applications to plant breeding to support breeding modernization initiatives.
- Experience estimating genetic gain and other breeding key performance indicators for breeders, management, and funders, providing monitoring capability in a timely manner.
- Experience in relationship building and capacity building on analytics.
- A team player with strong interpersonal communication skills, able to work in a multicultural environment, with excellent leadership and people management skills
- Good project management skills and an understanding of the importance of planning for the success of all CGIAR wide initiatives
- Experience working within international organizations or multicultural organizations desired
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical and Creative Thinking, Teamwork, Communication, and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS21145_Biometrician. Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Tuesday, March 8th, 2022. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.