The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT® (www.cimmyt.org), is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries, and through offices in Africa, Asia and Latin America. Through strong science and effective partnerships, we create, share, and use knowledge and agricultural technologies to increase food security, improve the productivity and profitability of farming systems, and sustain natural resources in developing countries. We participate in an extensive global network of people and organizations who share similar research and development goals, including the public and private sector, nongovernmental and civil society organizations, farmers, and the development assistance community.
CIMMYT is hosted by World Agroforestry (ICRAF), a member of the CGIAR that is headquartered on United Nations Avenue, Nairobi, Kenya. We invite you to learn more about CIMMYT and World Agroforestry by accessing our web sites: www.cimmyt.org and www.worldagroforestry.org
CIMMYT is looking for a Bio Informatic and Software Developer. The Bio informative and Software Developer will Provide bioinformatics analysis support to various crop breeding activities (in Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Ethiopia, Burkina, Nigeria, Ghana, Mali and Senegal) and developing of a new software application or customize existing applications.
The duty station will be in Nairobi, Kenya.
Main duties and responsibilities:
- Data Analysis
- Analyze agricultural research experiments (low, mid, and high-volume sequencing/genotyping data).
- Processing of large files and perform various bioinformatics analysis.
- Software development
- Collaborate with software developers in the development and modification of commercial bioinformatics software.
- Develop software or applications for scientific or technical use.
- Developing Python and Angular / React (or other) web framework-based GUI web-apps.
- Manage Linux based servers and understand virtualizations and dockers.
- Local and International Support
- Collaborate with technical specialists to resolve design or development problems.
- Contribute to organizing and delivering OneCGIAR training programs in bioinformatics data analysis, data management, digitalization and using interlinked tools.
- Support the integration of roles and projects into the new OneCGIAR global units.
Required qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters in life Science.
- PhD qualification in the same field will be an added advantage.
- Thorough understanding of the field of work or specialized equipment.
- Basic knowledge of administrative and/or operating protocols and procedures of research
- Up to 5 years work experience.
- Conceptual knowledge and understanding of NGS data analysis, and pipeline development
for variant calling & developing reference assemblies.
- Communicate effectively with colleagues and external contacts on routine work-related
- Competence in using shell scripts, Snakemake, Nextflow and/or WSL.
- Experience in Core JAVA, using APIs and developing API driven applications
- Proficiency in Python, Perl and R
- Personal attributes and competencies
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Ability to analyze complex data, carry out and explain computations or to resolve complex
- Identifying options based on research and consideration of their consequences.
- Provides inputs into decision making on complex problems.
- Deep understanding of NGS data analysis, and pipeline development for variant calling & developing reference assemblies.
- Proficiency in using Linux and maintaining Linux based servers and clusters.
- Experience in web frameworks, such as Angular or React.
- Knowledge of relational data management systems and demonstrated ability to extract data and navigate systems.
- Experience in working within international organizations or multicultural organizations desired.
- Critical and Creative Thinking, Teamwork, Communication and Client Orientation skills.
Terms and conditions
This is a Locally Recruited Staff (LRS) position and on competitive remuneration in local currency, commensurate with skills and experience. The appointment will be for a period of two (2) years, with the possibility of extension contingent upon performance, continued relevance of the position and available resources.
Go to http://worldagroforestry.org/working-for-icraf/vacancies to find the announcement and to directly apply, please click here
The application deadline for this position of Bioinformatic and Software Developer, K22152 is 23 September 2022.
CV and Cover Letter should be in PDF and Labelled with the applicants First and Second Names.
We will acknowledge all applications but will only contact short-listed candidates.
CIFOR-ICRAF is an equal opportunity employer. Staff diversity contributes to excellence.
To apply for this job please visit recruit.zohopublic.com.