The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an experienced and result-oriented professional for the position Associate Scientist in Wheat Physiology to work in the Global Wheat Program.
The position will be based in CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Lead research activities in crop physiology with a principal focus in photosynthesis, respiration, day/night transpiration and partitioning of assimilates to yield in an international collaborative context.
- Supervise and coordinate PhD students and visitors research activities in collaboration with Head of Wheat Physiology and wheat scientists.
- Collaborate with remote sensing and wheat pre-breeding activities in CIMMYT and with partners.
- Supervise field and laboratory research technicians.
- Collate, curate and apply statistical analysis to research data sets.
- Write technical reports to funding agencies and provide support to the development of project proposals.
- Publish in high impact peer-reviewed journals.
- Support general activities of Wheat Physiology Group including for example, in house training.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in plant physiology, breeding, genetics of wheat or another crop.
- Required experience in photosynthesis/respiration research and use of IRGA, preferably in the field.
- Work experience in management and analysis of complex scientific data, in a biotechnology and/or crop research context.
- Excellent skills in verbal and written English. Spanish is a plus.
- Publications in peer-reviewed international journals.
- Flexibility to travel and spend extended periods in NW-Mexico (Cd. Obregon, Sonora) and occasionally travel abroad to meet collaborators.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Teamwork, Critical Thinking and Client Orientation.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS20126_Associate Scientist in Wheat Physiology. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Monday, August 24th 2020. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.