The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not -for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Assistant Research Associate to be based in our Southern Africa Office in Harare, Zimbabwe. This is a nationally recruited position and is open to all Zimbabweans with excellent academic records and relevant experience. The position will support understanding behavioral, market – and finance-related, and policy barriers to agroecological transformation in Zimbabwe, in coordination with teams in other regions. The incumbent will participate in designing research activities, organizing stakeholder workshops, assessing business and financial models, collecting, and analyzing primary data, and reporting on farmer and value chain actors’ preferences, capacities, and agency.
The main responsibilities of this position will be:
- Support research design process and development of data collection tools, drawing on participatory research methodologies across fields.
- Lead qualitative and quantitative data collection in two target regions of Zimbabwe (Mbire and Murehwa Districts), likely to include interviews, focus group discussions, and farmer surveys.
- Contribute to data analysis, likely to include coding and qualitative analysis of interview data, basic frequentist statistics, cost-benefit and econometric analyses, business and financial analysis, and value chain analysis.
- Conduct literature reviews on relevant topics.
- Support manuscript and report writing and other reporting as required.
- Establish and maintain contacts with external collaborating organizations and partners.
- Organize logistics and financial arrangements related to data collection, team travel, etc.
- Lead in organizing stakeholder meetings and workshops and oversee taking minutes.
- Other duties and miscellaneous tasks as required and as assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Master’s degree from a reputable university in relevant social science field (agricultural economics, development economics, environmental economics, natural resource management, sociology, geography, or related).
- Experience with fieldwork in Zimbabwe and familiarity with local languages, culture, customs, and norms. (At least 5 years’ experience conducting applied research).
- Class 4 Driver’s license is a requirement.
- General experience in planning and implementing mixed methods in data collection (e.g., interviews, focus group discussions, farm and household surveys, and participatory research tools).
- Knowledge of agroecology, key rural development issues, value chain analysis, stakeholder engagements, business, and financial analysis, and/or gender and social inclusion.
- General experience with quantitative and qualitative data analysis using software such as NVIVO, SPSS, Stata, R.
- Knowledge of the dynamics in nature, farming, and human interactions related to markets and value chains development.
- General experience in designing and implementing surveys using computer-assisted personal interviewing (CAPI) software such as Census and Survey Processing Systems (CSPro), Survey Solutions etc.
- Knowledge and familiarity with behavioral and experimental economics approaches will be an added advantage.
- Ability and willingness to travel domestically in Zimbabwe.
- The selected candidate must be able to demonstrate the following competencies: Critical Thinking, Communication, Client Orientation, and Negotiation and Conflict Resolution.
Candidates must apply here for Z22152 Assistant Research Associate no later than Wednesday, 20 July 2022.
Please note that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality. Women candidates are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.