The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Assistant Research Associate to work in the Integrated Development Program (IDP).
The Assistant Research Associate will assist the markets and value chains chapter within IDP to design and implement research related to the development of maize seed businesses and maize seed value chains in Mexico (in the framework of the Maiz para Mexico program). Work will focus on production and commercialization of hybrid maize seed by small companies in specific areas of Mexico and uptake of (demand for) maize hybrid by small producers.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Provide support and critical inputs to the design of research focused on development of small hybrid maize companies and the uptake of (demand for) maize hybrid seed by small producers.
- Apply data collection tools with field assistants and external partners in specific areas of Mexico, in particular Chiapas.
- Participate and support with the systematization and cleaning of the qualitative and quantitative information collected from the field and preliminary data analysis.
- Provide inputs for the elaboration of reports and articles based on research findings.
- Interact with national maize seed companies, retailers, and others to obtain important information.
- Provide assistance in other activities of importance to IDP.
- Report to your immediate supervisor any abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned, for immediate correction.
- Other duties related to the position directed by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- MSc degree in social science (e.g. rural development, economics, gender studies, business management).
- 1 – 3 years’ experience in similar field or positions.
- Proven experience in data collection and analysis and elaboration of reports related to seed business, seed marketing, and seed demand
- High level of cultural awareness and sensitivity.
- Excellent computer skills including MS Office Software.
- Advanced level in English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of C1 as per CEFR).
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Critical Thinking, Creative Thinking, Communication, Teamwork.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M21147 Assistant Research Associate. Screening and follow up will begin on Wednesday, May 26, 2021. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Ricardo Perez (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.