The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Assistant Research Associate to work in the Global Wheat Program (GWP).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s experimental station in Toluca, located at Calle Hidalgo S/N, Col. San Sebastián, Metepec, Estado de México. C.P.52146.
- Supervise and execute field and greenhouse operations for seed preparation, crossing, planting, data collection, sampling, and harvesting.
- Organize and supervise people/teams assigned to specific activities.
- Plan and prepare materials for conducting breeding and research activities.
- Elaborate planting maps.
- Organize day-to-day activities such as trial identification in the greenhouse and the field, rust inoculations, chemical treatments to trials, etc.
- Keep track of field and greenhouse management activities along with the station manager’s team.
- Participate in tasks that occur during the different stages of the crop cycle assigned to the Unit.
- Report the tasks performed and the results achieved in the project that has been assigned.
- Collect data and maintain records of all activities undertaken at the field or greenhouse.
- Report to your immediate supervisor any abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned, for immediate correction.
- Attend working visits to other CIMMYT field trials and/or research stations
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
- Verify that equipment and facilities are in good operating condition and report any maintenance needed.
- Contribute to the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques to the rest of the staff working in the unit and keep updated on new research.
- Perform support activities that are required in the unit, according to the instructions of your manager.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s degree in Biological Sciences, Chemistry, Agronomy or equivalent.
- Minimum 2 years of performing similar roles.
- Good working knowledge of crop cultivation (experience in wheat preferred) including sowing, crossing, harvesting and other management practices.
- Greenhouse work experience is an advantage, but not required
- Supervisory skills and experience
- Intermediate level in English language (English test will be administered; candidate must score a minimum of B1 as per CEFR). Knowledge of English language is an advantage, but not required
- Enough competency to use MS Office Suite (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Word).
- The position need to have basic knowledge of administrative and/or operating protocols and procedures of research support function.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, People management, Time Management, Teamwork and Achievement Orientation.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M20152 Assistant Research Associate. Screening and follow up will begin on Tuesday, 4 August 2020. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Karen Luna (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.