The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking to recruit a dynamic and experienced agricultural economist to conduct ex ante and ex post economic assessments of agronomy investments and related programmatic activities, drawing on mixed methods (including econometric analysis and microsimulation, geospatial modeling, economic surplus modeling, or other tools, as appropriate). Ability to design and implement gendered analysis will be an added advantage. The Agricultural Economist will work within Sustainable Agri-food Systems (SAS) and will report to the Lead Economist (Inclusive Value Chains) and the principal investigators of the project involved.
The position will be based at the CIMMYT office in Nairobi, Kenya, or at a hosted office in Nigeria or Ghana.
- Develop and/or adapt ex ante and ex post analytical frameworks and protocols for agronomy projects, including implementing survey protocols and data management for agronomy investments in the Excellence in Agronomy Initiative and related project activities.
- Design and supervise ex ante and ex post impact analyses of use cases in the Excellence in Agronomy Initiative.
- Organize, manage, and analyze primary data collection through focus group discussions, key informant interviews, farm household surveys, and market surveys.
- Compile national and state statistics and review the existing literature, including peer-reviewed publications, unpublished reports, and government policy documents.
- Strengthen the impact evaluation culture within CIMMYT and among partners through better articulation of impact pathways and ex ante / ex post impact evaluations.
- Contribute to project reporting and preparation of scientific manuscripts to be published in high-impact, peer-reviewed journals.
- Build institutional networks and contacts for the effective functioning of the current projects and for developing future collaborations.
- Contribute to resource mobilization.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- D. in agricultural or development economics with research experience in agriculture and rural development.
- At least 2 years of Postdoctoral work experience in a developing country context. However, recent Ph.D. graduates from internationally ranked institutes with strong analytical skills are also encouraged to apply.
- Demonstrated skills in applied econometric analysis, experimental work (including RCT design and implementation), and/or spatial economics/geospatial analysis. Other modeling skills relevant to creative approaches to ex ante evaluations will also be considered.
- Demonstrated ability to collect primary and secondary data and develop analytical frameworks on tradeoff analysis, policy/market analysis, and business model analysis.
- Experience in quantitative adoption and impact analysis would be a plus.
- Experience working in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Demonstrated ability to work with deadlines and deliver quality products.
- Ability to work with different nationalities and disciplines as a member of a diverse work team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Teamwork, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22161_Agricultural Economist.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Thursday, December 22nd, 2022. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.