The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for an innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented Post-Doctoral Fellow/Associate Scientist to work on; and implement a research portfolio within the Sustainable Agri-food Systems (SAS) Program focusing on identifying the most effective and impactful scaling pathways for key CIMMYT and CGIAR portfolio of genetic, agronomic, policy and mechanical innovations. Candidates with strong quantitative skills and a good understanding of current issues on global development and food systems transformation are especially encouraged to apply. Familiarity with, and ability to apply gender analysis toolkits or analytical frameworks will be an added advantage.
As part of CIMMYT’s SAS Program and reporting to the research group lead on Science for Scaling and Impact Pathways, the position will be based in CIMMYT’s Nairobi Office with responsibilities across the Eastern and Southern Africa region (and beyond) depending on the program and Center needs.
- Conceptualize, design, and implement theoretically sound, and empirically testable research activities around scaling innovations and pathways to impact. Some areas of possible interest include the economic agency of farmers and other agrifood system actors and related behavioral insights.
- The role of environmental and market risks in shaping economic decisions of farmers and other agrifood system actors.
- Design research instruments for the collection of multiple types of data (microeconomic, macroeconomic, business) and other relevant data required to advance the research activities identified.
- Leveraging existing CIMMYT and OneCGIAR data ecosystems, implement fully digitized data collection, curation, and dissemination with respect to existing data policies at CIMMYT and the CGIAR.
- Lead the publication of research results in reputable and high-impact factor journals.
- Participate in impact co-creation through fast-tracked analysis to guide effective implementation of multi-disciplinary research for development projects
- Articulate the needed scaling investments for field-ready agricultural innovations
- Contribute to the policy learnings through research translation, synthesis (including data dashboards), and dissemination of results to scientific and policy audiences
- Actively contribute to the development of new project proposals and initiatives for advancing applied research in the region and elsewhere as needed.
Required qualifications, skills, and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in Agricultural/Development Economics or a closely related field.
- Demonstrated international research and field experience in the global south and willingness to implement field research activities in rural areas of Africa and the global south.
- Good understanding of the linkages between agricultural and economic development and its relationships to science, technology and innovation, institutions, markets, and policies.
- Demonstrated experience in the implementation and management of household surveys especially large and complex surveys requiring budget and people management skills.
- Excellent skills in digital data collection and management and a keen sense of data quality assurance.
- Competence in the application of statistical and econometric approaches to develop research questions and high-level familiarity with statistical applications such as R and STATA
- Good interpersonal skills and ability to interface with rural communities such as village leaders, extension staff, and others
- Ability to work effectively in a multi-cultural environment as a member of a diverse work team.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- The selected candidate should exhibit the following competencies: Client Orientation, Negotiation, and Conflict Resolution, Problem Solving and Decision Making, Teamwork, and Communication.
The position is for an initial fixed term of three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health, and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual home travel airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply online for IRS22158_Agricultural and Development Economist.
Screening and follow-up of applications will begin on Thursday, December 22nd, 2022. Applications must include a CV and a cover letter. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal-opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cimmytrecruitment.wufoo.com.