The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Accounting Coordinator at the CIMMYT Southern Africa Regional Office. This position has a critical role in enhancing the impact of CIMMYT’s work. The position reports to the CIMMYT Country Representative based at CIMMYT’s Regional Office in Harare, Zimbabwe, and will be responsible for finance and accounting of project activities in accordance with CIMMYT Policies and Donor rules. The Accounting Coordinator is responsible for providing timely and efficient accounting support to CIMMYT Program activities in Zimbabwe, working very closely with other Accountants and the Finance Coordinator to ensure that accounting processes and internal control procedures work as per required standards.
Cash Flow Projection, Monitoring & Budget Execution
- Ensure timely preparation of a cash flow projection for Zimbabwe office in Consultation with the Finance Manager.
- Review and update cash flow statements and with Finance Manager and Programme Managers and Programme Administrators.
Payment Processing, Transaction Recording, and Documentation
- Scrutinize and process payments ensuring proper support documentation is attached.
- Ensure proper numbering and filing of financial and accounting records.
- Ensure proper recording of financial transactions into QuickBooks.
- Generate on a monthly basis a record of all transactions entered during the month and ensure errors are corrected in time.
- Monthly consolidation and submission of monthly reports to HQ.
- Facilitate independent the work of auditors when undergoing an audit and prepare management response to the auditor recommendations, in compliance with donor rules and regulations.
- Ensure follow up of auditor recommendations.
- Timely submission of all direct and indirect tax requirements and ensure VAT recovery with the respective tax authorities.
Payables and Receivables Analysis and travel legalizations
- Conduct a monthly review of balances with a view to regularize them.
- Review travel claims/advance and ensure timely submission, and processing of advances and legalizations.
- Analyze, reconcile and follow-up staff personal accounts to ensure compliance with CIMMYT policies.
- Preparing statutory returns and ensuring compliance with all statutory requirements including PAYE, NSSA NPS etc.
Project Management Support
- Review project Budgetary information for planning and forecasting, monitor budget execution and prepare monthly updates to the country coordinator.
- Follow up and monitor payments to project partners and proper financial reporting from them, assisting as necessary in preparing their returns and reviewing their expenditure supporting documentation.
- Supporting in preparation of and attending project team meetings while providing back up on project financial matters.
- Budget tracking and regular verification of reported Country expenses.
- Prepare and submit to HQ monthly bank reconciliations and other internal control requirements as dictated by CIMMYT HQ and/or supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Accounting or related qualification and familiarity with Non-for-profit environment and Funder/Donor regulatory environment and processes.
- Experience in computerized accounting and knowledge of Quick Books and related accounting packages.
- In addition to the above, the candidate should hold a valid membership certificate of any of the following professional accounting bodies or similar bodies: – CPA, CMA, CIS, ACCA, or CIMA.
- A customer-orientation and focus on process efficiency and efficacy are indispensable.
Submit your applications to the following e-mail address: email@example.com
Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained and expected remuneration. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted. The closing date for receipt of applications is 21st October 2020.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.
To apply for this job please visit cgiar.org.