The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented candidate for the position of Socio-economist to work on improving maize (and wheat) agro-food systems in Latin America. The position has a two-fold focus: (i) to assess and develop input/output value-chain opportunities, particularly in relation to agri-input (seed) markets; and (ii) to understand, document and enhance technology adoption and impacts. The position contributes to and draws on the experiences of a large multi-disciplinary research-for-development (R4D) team working on the Sustainable Modernization of Traditional Agriculture (MasAgro) initiative in Mexico and complementary projects to improve the livelihoods of poor farmers in Meso-America. You will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Socio-Economics Program in close collaboration with other CIMMYT’s programs and with public, private, local and international partners.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Main Campus (located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico) and conduct activities in Central America, but will interact with CIMMYT´s regional offices world-wide on a regular basis.
- Assess input/output value chain development options in target geographies and agro-food systems with a particular focus on the agri-input (seed) markets and improving the productivity, market competitiveness and livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
- Assess the adoption and impacts of innovations in maize (and wheat)-based production systems across target geographies, particularly improved varieties and sustainable intensification practices, including diffusion dynamics, associated drivers and social inclusiveness.
- Translate findings into practical R4D priorities and implications, including the development of strategies, options and recommendations to set research priorities, guide policy decisions, facilitate adoption and adaptation, stimulate scaling up and out and enhance social inclusiveness.
- Build an exciting strategic R4D portfolio and assist in resource mobilization and capacity development.
- Publish research findings in international peer reviewed journals and contribute to dissemination of results to stakeholders.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- PhD in agricultural/developmental economics or related social science from a recognized institution.
- At least 5 years of relevant experience in applied agricultural R4D, preferably including developing countries and Latin America.
- Experience and interest in the use of mixed (quant-qual) and appropriate methods.
- Experience in leading research teams, developing a research portfolio and mobilizing funding.
- Ability to effectively interact with diverse audiences, stakeholders, colleagues and disciplines and to work with and motivate multi-disciplinary teams and to develop strong and effective working relationships with partners.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English, and preferably at least a working knowledge of Spanish.
- A high degree of personal organization and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure, as well as travel extensively.
- Promising publication record.
- Relationship Management
- Strategic Thinking
- Innovation and Creativity
- Relationship with External Stakeholders
- Achievement Orientation
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS17118 Socio-economist (Latin America). Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Saturday, 15 April 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.