The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a dynamic, highly skilled, innovative, self-motivated, service- oriented candidate for the position of Senior Wheat Breeder to work as a member of the Global Wheat Program in CIMMYT. This position has a critical role in enhancing the impact of CIMMYT’s work by developing improved wheat varieties for enhanced grain yield potential, biotic and abiotic stress tolerance, nutritional and processing quality through conventional, molecular and genomic selection approaches, and partnership with the national wheat improvement programs.
The position is based at CIMMYT, Iran, in Karaj located 40 km west of Tehran the Capital of Iran. The job will involve extensive travel within Iran at various research stations, farmers’ fields and some travels outside of Iran.
- Contribute to the overall objectives of the project “Increasing the Productivity of Wheat and Wheat-based Systems in Iran” enhancing wheat yields and its stability, biotic and abiotic stress tolerance and end-use quality under irrigated and rainfed conditions through various activities in partnership with national wheat improvement programs in Iran.
- Phenotyping of various agronomic traits and biotic/abiotic resistance/tolerance.
- Application of new technologies in wheat breeding; Marker Assisted Selection, Genomics Selection, Doubled Haploid, SSD, etc.
- Develop project proposals, work plans and reports corresponding to the objective of the project.
- Capacity building in collaboration with researchers from the National Agricultural Research Systems and Extension Agency in Iran, related to wheat improvement.
- Perform database entry and analysis.
- Publish relevant work in scientific and peer reviewed international journals.
- Supervise technical staff
- Manage the project cycle of the performance-based collaborative agreements for wheat breeding research platforms in Iran.
- Other duties as assigned by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- A Ph.D. in cereals genetics or breeding with at least 10 years work experience in Applied Wheat Breeding.
- Experience with field based plant breeding/research and aptitude for field-based research.
- Experience with molecular genetics and its application in applied wheat breeding.
- Knowledge of experimental designs, knowledge and experience of management of field trials, field breeding operations, and data analysis.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency software packages for statistical and biometrical analysis of data.
- Excellent data management and analysis skills and a record of high quality scientific publications.
- Excellent oral and written English communication skills.
- Interest in international agricultural research and development.
- Demonstrated ability to work collegially and collaboratively in diverse, multicultural environments.
- Oral and written proficiency in Persian is desirable.
- Willingness to spend time away from home (mostly travelling in Iran).
- Strong Teamwork Attitude
- Achievement and Delivery Orientation
- Innovation and Creativity
- Problem solving
- Multicultural Awareness and Sensitivity
- Very good communication ability
- Time management
- Service orientation
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS17113 Senior Wheat Breeder.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on 3rd March, 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.