The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking dynamic, pro-active and results-oriented Sabbatical/Visiting Fellows in the following four thematic areas of Wheat and/or Maize Agri-Food Systems (AFS):
- Behavioral Economics: To better understand stakeholder behavior in target AFS
- Nutrition-Social Science Nexus: To rethink nutritional priorities in target AFS
- Political Economy: To better understand the political economy in target AFS
- Remote Sensing-Social Science Nexus: To explore remote sensing opportunities for monitoring target AFS dynamics
CIMMYT’s research for development (R4D) aims to improve the livelihoods of poor maize and wheat farmers and consumers across the developing world in Africa, Asia, and Latin America. The foregoing thematic areas are relatively novel to the mandate Wheat and Maize AFS and for each we expect high caliber Sabbatical/Visiting fellow to explore strategic implications for the respective thematic area in collaboration with a multi-disciplinary R4D team (including socio-economic and bio-physical disciplines). We foresee at least four different positions – one for each thematic area. Positions could focus on wheat and/or maize AFS. You will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Socio-Economics Program in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s other programs, the MAIZE and WHEAT Consortium Research Programs and local and international partners.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Headquarters in Mexico, but may involve travel, including to other CIMMYT offices and field operations.
- Selectively review and analyze literature, primary and secondary data sets from CIMMYT and third parties in one of the specific thematic areas and consult with CIMMYT colleagues.
- Develop a position paper around the thematic areas in relation to Wheat and/or Maize Agri-Food Systems in developing countries.
- Publish findings in international peer-reviewed.
Fellowship Eligibility/Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- D. in a relevant field from a recognized institution.
- Interest and experience in both one of the specific thematic areas and applied agricultural R4D.
- Experience in developing innovative R4D collaborations and portfolio.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English.
- Established publication potential in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Competencies: Flexibility/Adaptability, Communication, Teamwork, Multi-Cultural Awareness/ Sensitivity and Achievement Orientation.
Terms: The appointments are envisaged for an initial 3-12 months starting in 2018 at CIMMYT Headquarters, Mexico. CIMMYT offers a collegial, multi-cultural, stimulating environment for this work, initial and final travel, housing assistance, office space, and access to modern communications facilities.
Sabbatical/Visiting Fellow Opportunities. Screening and follow up of applications will begin in mid-June and will remain open until it is filled. For further information on the selection process, please contact, Program Director, Olaf Erenstein, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.