Post-Doctoral Fellow / Associate Scientist
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a dynamic, innovative, self-motivated, and service-orientated professional for the position of Postharvest Specialist, at the post-doctoral fellow or associate scientist level, depending on the experience and qualifications of the successful candidate, to work at the Sustainable Intensification Program (SIP) in Latin America. The position is part of an ambitious strategic research program that generates knowledge to support CIMMYT’s Sustainable Intensification activities worldwide.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Main Campus (located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico) but will interact with all CIMMYT´s experimental stations and regional offices (particularly in Latin America) on a regular basis.
- Develop research on postharvest management for cereals, focusing on the postharvest processes for optimal storage.
- Develop and coordinate a network of research platforms for post-harvest research with collaborators in Mexico and Central America to address research gaps and inform recommendations to farmers.
- Promote partnerships, facilitate dialogue and collaborative work with multiple stakeholders, including research institutes and private sector partners in order to develop and promote adequate post-harvest solutions and related public policies.
- Scope research on post-harvest and food loss prevention, identifying best practices that can be relevant to the work of SIP.
- Provide methodological support and quality control for on-farm validation of postharvest technologies.
- Analyze data from postharvest research in platforms and on-farm validations and communicate these results to diverse communities, including scientists, farmers, farm agents, change agents, policy makers and donors.
- Capacity building with researchers from the National Agricultural Research Systems, farm advisors and operators of small and medium storage facilities in Latin America.
- Integrate key learnings from the postharvest research in CIMMYT’s innovation systems or hubs.
- Support the development of project proposals and fundraising efforts related to postharvest.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in a relevant field, or equivalent through experience.
- Significant and demonstrated experience in postharvest research and stakeholder management.
- Excellent data management and analysis skills and a record of high quality scientific publications.
- Computer literacy, with proficiency in the common software packages.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Spanish.
- Ability to integrate and synthesize information from different sources.
- Commitment to advances in farm productivity and poverty reduction in the developing world.
- Willingness to spend time away from home (mostly travelling in Mexico).
- Problem solving
- Innovation and creativity
- Relationship management
- Achievement orientation
- Time management
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years or two (2) years for Post-Doctoral Fellow, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS17119 Postharvest Specialist. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, 19 May 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.