The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
Under the direct supervision of the General Counsel, the Policy and Compliance Specialist establishes and maintains a comprehensive policy framework, and serves as team leader to accomplish the update and harmonization of existing and new policies into the updated framework. The selected candidate will support the General Counsel with oversight of internal and external resources to ensure that employee conduct and operations are in compliance with the Code of Conduct, policies, procedures, and controls, and with CIMMYT’s contractual and legal obligations. The Policy and Compliance Specialist participates in the establishment and management of, and communication and training on, CIMMYT Compliance Program elements, including the code of conduct, Compliance Committee, and related policies, standards and procedures.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico. The job will involve extensive travel within Mexico at various research stations and some travel in collaborating countries.
- Assess the adequacy of existing policies and identify gaps and issues that require change.
- Support internal committees and working groups established by management to address policy development and ongoing coordination.
- Propose an effective Policy Framework to incorporate best practices and international standards, taking into account CIMMYT’s evolving needs, and the regulatory framework of CIMMYT, sister organizations, and the United Nations Common system.
- Propose for approval, and provide training to units and departments on, standardization of requirements as to the Policy Framework, including format, content, and definitions applicable to policies with wide applicability within the CIMMYT organization.
- Provide training and direct mentoring to individuals with drafting responsibility, to ensure completion of updated and new policy drafts (and related standards, policies and procedures), recommendations, reports, studies, briefings, presentations, letters, blogs and other relevant outputs for key stakeholders.
- Develop mechanisms to establish initial and continuing awareness of comparative best practices in policy management, regionally and internationally.
- Respond to procedural questions related to policy administration.
- Support the General Counsel in managing the CIMMYT Compliance Program.
- Support the General Counsel in the management of the diverse membership of the CIMMYT Compliance Committee, in its oversight of the Compliance Program elements.
- Propose for approval and implement the standards and procedures for CIMMYT stakeholders to raise a compliance concern or make a report.
- Participate in the concern/report review process, to determine assignment of resources to resolve matters raised.
- Participate in the selection and engagement of third party training courses appropriate for the CIMMYT population.
- Collaborate with CIMMYT leadership to ensure issues raised in compliance reports are addressed with appropriate corrective action and without retaliation.
- Collaborate with CIMMYT Communication to develop communication activities to engage the work force regarding the Policy Framework and the Compliance Program elements.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- First level law degree that enables practice as an attorney, Bachelor’s or Master’s degree.
- 6 to 10 years in similar positions.
- Communication skills in spoken and written English with fluent Spanish.
- Decision making.
- Problem Solving.
- Change Management.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for 16844 Policy and Compliance Specialist, until Thursday February 9th. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Tuesday January 23th, 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.