The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Laboratory Technician to work in the Global Wheat Program of CIMMYT. Please note that an initial temporary contract (6 months) will be provided. Further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Apply laboratory techniques and procedures of medium complexity in the specific area of the overall project as assigned in accordance with institutionally agreed standards and protocols.
- Record a daily report of the tasks performed and the results achieved in the project assigned to the unit.
- Perform assigned analysis and prepare materials and chemicals needed therefore in accordance with institutional health and safety procedures.
- Report to supervisor abnormal situations that arise in the development of the assigned work, for immediate correction.
- Assist in the cleaning and maintenance of the instruments and equipment and safeguard areas assigned to laboratory chemicals.
- Assist in taking care of scientists and visitors to the unit, including basic training in techniques.
- Execute laboratory work as assigned, such as collection, characterization and maintenance of different fungal pathogens, preparation of inoculum for field inoculation, extraction DNA from fungal and wheat materials, molecular diagnosis with molecular markers and evaluation for DON contamination.
- Execute greenhouse work as assigned, such as wheat disease experiments at seeding stage (e.g. tan spot and Septoria nodorum blotch) or adult plant stage (eg.. Fusarium head blight, type II resistance), fungal virulence and aggressiveness related experiments, and seed multiplications.
- Participate in wheat pathology related fieldwork when needed, including field inoculation, field disease evaluation, disease affected seeds assessments in warehouse etc.
- Participate in the collection of crop agronomic data, such as flowering date, plant height, lodging, etc. using measuring instruments assigned to the unit.
- Participate in the seed preparation work in warehouse.
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biological sciences or related fields. Majoring in plant pathology or microbiology will represent an advantage.
- At least 2 years in similar activities or positions.
- Knowledge on molecular biology and the corresponding laboratory techniques.
- Basic knowledge of administrative and/or operating protocols and procedures of research support function.
- User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Intermediate level of English. English will be tested and candidate should score a minimum of B2 on CEFR.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Achievement Orientation, Pro-activity, Problem Solving, Communication and Teamwork.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development.
Candidates must apply online to M17169 Laboratory Technician. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, 20 July 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.