The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Laboratory Research Technician to work in the Global Wheat Program of CIMMYT.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Apply laboratory techniques and procedures of medium complexity in the specific area of the overall project as assigned in accordance with institutionally agreed standards and protocols.
- Record a daily report of the tasks performed and the results achieved in the project assigned to the unit.
- Perform assigned analysis and prepare materials and chemicals needed therefore in accordance with institutional health and safety procedures.
- Report to supervisor abnormal situations that arise in the development of the assigned work, for immediate correction.
- Assist in the cleaning and maintenance of the instruments and equipment and safeguard areas assigned to laboratory chemicals.
- Perform support tasks in the unit, as required by the immediate supervisor.
- Assist in taking care of scientists and visitors to the unit, including basic training in techniques.
- The job holder may execute its functions at 70% in the laboratory and computing areas, as well as 30% in the field and greenhouse areas in accordance with unit work.
- Maintain inventory of wheat materials and extracted DNA related to the project in biotechnology lab.
- Help in the maintenance of equipment and chemicals used in the lab.
- Conduct DNA electrophoresis on different types of gels, recording and interpreting results.
- Maintaining records of all work done in the lab.
- Sowing wheat materials in the greenhouse, inoculating, collecting leaf samples and rust inoculum, and recording data.
- Conducing all related duties in the lab and greenhouse to achieve successful trial results.
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Biological sciences or related fields.
- At least 2 years in similar activities or positions.
- Thorough knowledge of the field work or specialized equipment.
- Basic knowledge of administrative and/or operating protocols and procedures of research support function.
- User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Intermediate level of English. English will be tested and candidate should score a minimum of B2 on CEFR.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Achievement Orientation, Pro-activity, Problem Solving, Communication and Teamwork.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M17135 Laboratory Research Technician. Screening and follow up will begin on Tuesday, 21 March 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.