The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Hub Manager to join “Increasing the productivity of wheat and wheat based systems in Iran”, Iran-CIMMYT project. The successful applicant will oversee scientific approach, coordinate and monitor research conducted in the network of collaborative research platforms in Iran, with a focus to Conservation Agriculture for Sustainable Intensification (CASI) based agronomic practices. Disseminate best practices to establish research networks with National Agriculture Research and Extension Systems (NARES) and International collaborators. The Selected candidate works at CIMMYT-Iran and report to the project’s regional systems agronomist and project leader.
The position will be based in target locations in Iran at Karaj/Dezful/Shiraz/Kermanshah/Maragheh.
- Identify local needs and define relevant agricultural technologies that offer a high potential impact on productivity and /or conservation agriculture adaptation in sustainable intensification systems in the assigned region and coordinate the validation of these technologies in appropriate research trials.
- Facilitate and form partnership among a wide range of public and private organizations, farmers, service providers and education and research institutions to design, tests, validate and effectively deliver integrated technologies for the development and dissemination of conservation agriculture for sustainable intensification agriculture in hub domains.
- Implement integrated action plans to ensure that research is relevant to hub domain farmers and has the potential to generate technologies that can be adapted and extended.
- Keep abreast of technological developments, experiments and publications relevant to the area of technological expertise.
- Collaborate in improving local training materials and approaches for implementing extension activities through on-farm research with extension staff, farmers and private sector in a coordinated manner.
- Coordinate visits of CIMMYT employee, visitors, and national and international collaborators to evaluation locations, prepare, and supervise technical presentation as required.
- Provide technical advice for quality assessment of agronomic management practices, design, data collection and technical issues in managing research platform.
- Facilitate and provide training on how to handle research platforms and component trails, the collection of agronomic, soil and crop simulation data and the use of these for research.
- Analyze research data, write, and edit documents and reports.
- Monitor activities, supervise experimental research platform staff, and ensure high standards of relationships with host Institution Researchers.
- Assist and coordinate for designing, planning and executing new strategic research on Conservation Agricultural for Sustainable Intensification based management practices in farming systems perspectives in hub domains and Iran.
- Assure proper archiving and back-up of hard and soft copies of all datasets in consistent formats.
- Execute preliminary analyses of data (exploratory graphing, transformation of data to adhere to assumptions of normality, analysis of variance, and other more advanced statistical techniques), and assist in report preparation.
- Assist in developing standard protocols, meta-data sheets, maintain meta-data, and upload data in publicly accessible databases.
- Assist in the procurement and maintenance of research equipment required at Hub/research platform.
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
- Responsible for basic administration, budgets, financial transactions etc.
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Masters’ Degree in Agronomy and Soil Science or related discipline; or equivalent Technical degree requiring 5 or more years’ study.
- At least 5 years of experience in similar role or activities but having experience on Conservation Agriculture will be more desirable
- Advance knowledge of statistics tools (R-software, SAS and equivalent). User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Excellent oral and written communication skills in Persian and English language.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Multi-Cultural Awareness, Problem Solving, Flexibility/Adaptability, Pro-Activity and Strategic Thinking.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development according to the provisions of the Iranian Labor Law.
Candidates must apply online to IR17122 Hub Manager. Screening and follow up will begin on 30 November 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Dr. M. R. Jalal Kamali (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Iran.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.