How do social dynamics of exclusion-inclusion shape the outcomes and impacts of wheat- and maize research for development? What measures can help further expand the benefits of improved wheat- and maize technologies to women and men of different social groups across South Asia? To expand the evidence base for addressing these challenges and strengthen the integration of gender and social inclusion in our research-for-development (R4D) portfolio for South Asia, CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, pro-active, resourceful and results-oriented social scientist with a keen interest in social equity and gender transformative R4D to join its Socio-Economics Program.
The selected candidate will form part of CIMMYT’s Gender and Social Inclusion research team, and will work in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s other programs, the MAIZE and WHEAT CGIAR Research Programs and local and international partners. In alignment with CIMMYT’s strategies for gender and social inclusion in maize- and wheat R4D the selected candidate will work with colleagues and partners to expand the current evidence base on gender and social inclusion in wheat and maize based livelihoods in South Asia, develop relevant policy recommendations and promote gender transformative R4D practice.
The position will be based in South Asia (New Delhi/Kathmandu/Dhaka) and will involve travel, including to other CIMMYT offices and field operations.
- Carry out research to strengthen the evidence base concerning the perspectives, roles, needs and constraints of men and women small-scale farmers of different social groups in maize- and/or wheat agri-food systems in South Asia.
- Identify and promote avenues for integration of effective gender transformative and socially inclusive approaches in wheat- and maize research and technology development, -adaptation and –diffusion with a particular focus on South Asia.
- As part of the Gender and Social Inclusion team contribute to the overall coordination of gender and social inclusion research and mainstreaming, including implementation of the CIMMYT and MAIZE and WHEAT gender strategies, yearly work planning, reporting and communication.
- Contribute to institutional learning and change through networking and capacity strengthening for integration of gender and social inclusion in research at different levels in CIMMYT and among its partners.
- Publish research findings in international peer reviewed journals.
- Contribute to mobilization of resources to strengthen gender and social inclusion R4D in CIMMYT/WHEAT/MAIZE.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- D. in a relevant social science field from a recognized institution.
- Strong theoretical and methodological background in research related to gender and social inclusion.
- Minimum 3 years post-PhD relevant experience working with gender/social inclusion-and-agriculture issues in developing countries (experience from South Asia an advantage).
- Strong interest in, and experience of, applying mixed research methods (qualitative and quantitative).
- Proven leadership-, interpersonal-, and cross-cultural skills, including ability to work with and motivate multi-disciplinary teams and to develop strong and effective working relationships with partners.
- Experience with project management, including planning, physical and financial implementation, Monitoring and Evaluation, and reporting.
- Strong coordination and facilitation skills, including excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- A high degree of personal organization, the ability to work under pressure and willingness to travel.
- Established publication record in international peer-reviewed journals.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Achievement Orientation, Pro-activity, Time Management, Problem Solving, Communication and Teamwork.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
Candidates must apply here for IRS18125 Gender and Social Inclusion Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Friday, 22 June 2018. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Ricardo Perez, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.