The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Farmer market Linkages Specialist to work in the Sustainable Intensification Program (SIP) of CIMMYT. Please note that this is a strictly temporary position (6 months).
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Conduct data and strategic value chain analysis and mapping aiming at the identification of feasible and concrete opportunities to connect or strengthen maize, wheat and associated crops producers to markets (preferably value-added markets).
- Contribute to the promotion and development of innovative models to connect farmers to markets (including Responsible Sourcing and Public Procurement).
- Liaise with the appropriate stakeholders in order to support the development of a capacity building strategy related to market literacy, targeting the beneficiaries of the project portfolio of SIP in Latin America.
- Liaise with the appropriate stakeholders in order to promote better information channels and decision making tools related to commercialization for the beneficiaries of the project portfolio of SIP in Latin America.
- Evaluate and propose a marketing strategy for quality food products linked to sustainable production and specific geographical origin and/or traditions.
- Prepare specific recommendations on public policies to stimulate good practices in the area of contract agriculture and related topics.
- Conduct desktop and field strategic research relevant to the topic of FML.
- Identify, analyze and promote best practices based on lessons learnt through the FML activities conducted.
- Convey SIP efforts in Latin America related to FML to a wider audience, including support to the development of SIP-facilitated Interinstitutional Working Group on Commercialization.
- Identification of funding partners to strengthen FML activities involving key value chain players.
- In general, collaborate with CIMMYT staff, national and international partners to build integrated approaches to increase the productivity and income generation of maize and wheat farming systems while improving the livelihoods of smallholder farmers.
- Provide other support as required and perform other duties as directed by supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Agricultural Economics, Development or related field.
- At least 6 years of progressive experience in a corporate, public or non-profit environment.
- Experience in Project formulation and implementation.
- Understanding of agricultural value chains and familiarity with local and international food policies (particularly in Mexico).
- High degree of personal organization and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure, as well as availability to travel as per project demand to rural areas in the LatAm region.
- Experience with development offices of the public sector or with the CGIAR would be an asset.
- User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Intermediate level of English. English will be tested and candidate should score a minimum of C1 on CEFR.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Teamwork, Relationship Management, Proactivity and Achievement Orientation.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development.
Candidates must apply online to M17167 Farmer Market Linkages Specialist. Screening and follow up will begin on Tuesday, 20 June 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.