The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT seeks a dynamic, innovative, self-motivated and service-oriented professional for the position of Director of Finance to work in the Finance Department in the Corporate Services Program. The Director of Finance is responsible for leading all activities of the Finance function globally.
The selected candidate will be based at CIMMYT’s main campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Manage all functions led by the Finance Department and its Staff with direct responsibility over the activities of Treasury, Accounting and Reporting, Procurement, and Budgeting functions ensuring compliance.
- Acting as a service oriented Finance Business partner, advise the Director General, members of the Management Committee, CIMMYT Country Representatives and other senior members of CIMMYT on all Finance related matters.
- Contribute to other department’s projects and partner with the heads of other Corporate Services (Business Services, Finance, Legal, Communication) with the aim of adding value to CIMMYT’s operations and Research programs globally.
- Prepare and present financial strategies and reports to the Management Committee.
- Prepare reports and analyses for the Board of Trustees.
- Develop and implement financial policies and procedures, to streamline operations, and provide effective and timely information and support.
- Manage the Finance Managers of regional and country offices.
- Propose and implement changes to CIMMYT’s financial reports, including the annually audited reports, as required.
- Represent CIMMYT from time to time in international fora.
- Lead the development and implementation of automated financial systems including workflow automation.
- Facilitate internal and external audits.
- Monitor the overall performance of the Finance Department (team members, budget, assets, systems, etc.).
- Participate as an active member of the CIMMYT Management Committee, which is responsible for assisting the Director General in making strategic decisions.
- Other responsibilities or duties as may be assigned.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master degree in International Finance Management, Accounting, Finance or related field and CPA, CA, CFA, or similar accreditation; strong knowledge of IFRS.
- Minimum of ten years of progressive experience in financial management internationally, ideally gained in both the private and public sectors or Non For-Profit.
- Experience in the formulation and implementation of major financial reforms, e.g. new approaches to internal costing, ERP systems, remapping Charts of Accounts, and overall preparation of financial reports.
- Experience in managing project -based accounting systems.
- Experience in operating in a matrix-style management internationally.
- Experience in the formulation and implementation of Finance strategic plans.
- Experience in the creation, amendment, implementation, and enforcement of Finance policies which are suitable for a diverse international organization.
- Experience living and/or working in a developing country.
- Ability to listen, to understand the needs, and to meet these needs.
- Ability to work in a multicultural team.
- Ability to motivate and manage staff.
- Excellent communication skills, orally and written, including the ability to make persuasive presentations.
- English and Spanish required. Other languages a plus.
- Knowledge of Dynamics AX will be an advantage.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for 16848 Director of Finance. Screening and follow up of received applications will begin on Thursday, 5th January 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. Cover Letter should refer explicitly to the essential qualifications, skills, and competencies stated above providing clear and concrete examples of where, when, and how the experience was gained. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez at firstname.lastname@example.org
This position will remain open until filled. Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.