The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for a reputed, result-oriented mid-career scientist with appropriate technical and personal skills to lead a scientific research group focusing on strategic and applied crop modeling research with strong applications in maize and wheat based agrifood systems research. The successful candidate will oversee a team of junior scientists and graduate students, based at the Henan Agricultural University in China, that develop and use crop modelling and geo-spatial tools to understand and predict yield gaps for wheat and maize and supports associated research on interventions. The position looks across the main agro-ecologies and intensification gradients into the underlying factors and implications over space and time for (i) crop management and (ii) crop breeding – including genomics and traits. The position will be linked with the maize and wheat agrifood systems and agronomy work of CIMMYT and Henan Agricultural University and will provide crop physiology and modeling expertise and products contributing to CIMMYT and the University’s project portfolio. It will define priority research area of global importance in the field of crop modeling, in coordination with the research programs at CIMMYT and Henan Agricultural University.
The position is based at Zhengzhou, Henan province (China).
- Analyze large multi-location/multi-variety data sets to enhance insight in Genotype x Environment x Management interactions, and current and future yield gaps for maize and wheat mega-environments.
- Conduct ex ante and targeting analysis, including of multi-shock scenarios, to model and guide crop management approaches, breeding goals and germplasm selection.
- Collaborate with agronomists and plant breeders to ensure trial data integration in crop modeling and vice versa. Calibrate and validate wheat and maize crop models.
- Contribute to global crop model improvement initiatives such as AG0MIP.
- Identify options and implications for further research, development and scaling within the wider Asia region and globally (particularly Latin America and Africa).
- Rigorously document and publish research findings in high impact journals and contribute to the dissemination of results.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Ph.D. in crop/bio-physical sciences, preferably with specialization in crop modeling and/or crop physiology
- A minimum of 6 years of relevant work experience including crop modeling and internationally scoped programs.
- Strong geo-spatial and analytical skills, including knowledge of GIS software and remote sensing.
- Solid crop modeling, statistical and data management skills.
- Strong publication record in peer reviewed journals.
- People Management.
- Team Work
- Relationship with External Stakeholders
The position will be part of four career-track positons hired in collaboration between CIMMYT and Henan Agricultural University (HAU). HAU is a first-tier agricultural university in China. It has the vision of doubling and internationalizing its faculty over the coming five years. State-of-the-art facilities and equipment for the four research teams are provided at an entirely new university campus. Funding for the positions has been established through an agreement between CIMMYT and HAU. HAU hosts the National Key Laboratory for Wheat and Maize Crop Science and the only National Collaborative Innovation Center for Agriculture in China. Because of this, the Government gives the center a top priority for development and international collaboration. The positions are CIMMYT staff positions and follow its international policies. Modern and spacious housing is provided at the campus. The host city, Zhengzhou, has an international school and airport, and high speed train connection to Beijing.
CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing provided on campus, transport, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS17117 Crop Modeler – Physiologist. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on March 1st 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Enrique Martinez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.