The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an innovative, self-motivated, and results-oriented Business Development Services Analyst to support the development of agri-input (seed, fertilizer) markets and linkages for smallholder agriculture in Nepal’s challenging environments. The position contributes to and draws on the experiences of a large multi-disciplinary research-for-development (R4D) team working on the “Feed the Future Nepal Seed and Fertilizer” project to improve the livelihoods of poor farmers in Nepal. You will work as a member of CIMMYT’s Socio-Economics Program in close collaboration with CIMMYT’s Global Maize Program and Sustainable Intensification Program and with local and international partners.
The position will be based at CIMMYT’s Nepal Office in Kathmandu and will involve frequent travel to rural intervention areas as well as occasional international travel.
- Support to assess input value chain development options for the sustainable intensification of smallholder systems in Nepal, with a particular focus on seed provision models.
- Support field activities to promote technology adoption, scaling up and out of new technologies and socially inclusive market development.
- Support partner companies and institutions to conduct seed market development activities as per the project design, annual plan targets and business plan requirements.
- Support to conduct market research studies, value chain assessments, recurrent market surveys and baseline assessments.
- Facilitate data collection, processing and analysis to support publication of findings in international peer-reviewed journals.
- Support capacity development of partners in agri-input business analysis and development, including meeting regulatory requirements and challenges for seed/fertilizer sector development and implement public-private partnerships, market linkages, and business models with multiple stakeholders in the field level.
- Facilitate to organize training and capacity development events; exposure visits, meetings and seminars on seed market development.
- Liaise with project leads, consultants, partners and Government agencies to assist in the preparation on annual action plans and budgets; preparation of technical and financial reports and documents of learnings from project activities.
- Support to conduct any other activities as per the requirement of the project.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master of Arts/Science in field related to agriculture economics, agri-business management, development of agri-input markets, and agri-value chains from a recognized institution. Relevant Ph.D. is an advantage.
- Thorough knowledge of the seed markets in Nepal.
- Minimum of 5 years’ professional experience in building agri-input business in Nepal, especially related to the private sector development.
- Demonstrated success in using value chain approaches and best practices for developing the agriculture especially seeds sector in Nepal.
- Experience in building capacity of partners in business plan development; linking with banks and financial sectors including developing partnerships and business models in close association with SEAN and other membership based agencies in Nepal.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English and Nepali.
- A high degree of personal organization and the ability to multi-task and work under pressure, as well as travel extensively.
- Competencies: Multicultural Awareness and Sensitivity, Communication, Time Management, Relationship with External Stakeholders, Collaboration
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. This is a locally recruited position and will be subject to CIMMYTs local recruitment rules and policies.
Candidates must send their CV and cover letter to CIMMYT-NRSrecruitsouthasia@cgiar.org no later than Wednesday, 22nd March 2017.
Please include position and reference number N17112 in the subject of your email.
Incomplete applications (without CV and cover letter) will not be taken into consideration.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.