The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT seeks to recruit a Business Development Manager who will be a member of CIMMYT Ethiopia located at the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI) Addis Ababa campus. To find out more about ILRI please visit: https://www.ilri.org/
The position will be based at Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
- Assess small-scale mechanization opportunities with special emphasis on service demand and supply at both country- and site-specific levels, including market and demand assessment and their implications for agribusiness development.
- Take overall responsibility for business modelling aspects of the project.
- Conduct economic/cost-benefit analysis of different farming practices for the major crops and of various scenarios of mechanization.
- Develop training programs for rural youth group and individual mechanization hire service providers.
- Conduct trainings in business management and machinery management for hire service providers.
- Appraise and analyse the financial viability of the conservation-based mechanization technologies for small holder farmers.
- Conduct roundtable meetings with importers/manufacturers and stakeholders to understand the opportunities and the constraints faced by value chain actors downstream in the small mechanization market system.
- Identify inventory of financial institutions and financial product appropriate to rural service providers and lobbying for more appropriate financial products.
- Provide technical support for effective management of hire service provider models.
- Conduct business model performance study and technology adoption survey with implementing partners.
- Prepare semi-annual and annual reports as required by different mechanization projects.
- Develop partnerships with private sector stakeholders to foster development of the machinery supply chain and collaborate closely with implementation partners and monitor and supervise their activities in the field.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- MA/MSc degree in Economics, Business management or a related field from a highly recognized university.
- Experience in promotion and implementation of agricultural mechanization in Ethiopia.
- At least five years of value chain development experience.
- Business development and business modelling experience.
- Strong knowledge and experience with Ethiopian farming systems and input and output value chains.
- Experience with facilitating private-public partnerships in the realm of input and output markets. (Marketing)
- Experience with facilitating national and/or partnership platforms related to agricultural intensification; proven success in work relations with a wide range of partners, including research institutes, governments, private sector, and other development actors.
- Excellent communication skills including in spoken and written English
- Ability to work independently in a multi-disciplinary, multi-institutional, and multi-cultural environment
- Commitment to organizations mission and core values.
This is a Nationally Recruited Staff (NRS) position, initial appointment is (fixed term) for two years with the possibility of renewal appointment, contingent upon individual performance and the availability of funding. The ILRI remuneration package for nationally recruited staff in Ethiopia includes very competitive salary and benefits. The ILRI campus is set in a secure, attractive campus with dining and sports facilities.
Applicants should provide a cover letter and curriculum vitae; names and addresses (including telephone and email) of three referees who are knowledgeable about the candidate’s professional qualifications and work experience to be included in the curriculum vitae. The position and reference number: REF: BDM/27/17 should be clearly indicated in the subject line of the cover letter. All applications to be submitted online on our recruitment portal: http://ilri.simplicant.com on or before 14 September 2017.
Suitably qualified women are particularly encouraged to apply.