The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Assistant Wheat Breeder/Assistant Agronomist to join “Increasing the productivity of wheat and wheat based systems in Iran”, Iran-CIMMYT project. The successful applicant will assist through the configuration, analysis and application of wheat breeding/Agronomic research techniques as well as by supervising the duties of support personnel in order to help fulfil the breeding/research objectives. The Selected candidate will work at CIMMYT-Iran and report to the project regional systems agronomist, senior wheat breeder and project leader.
The position will be based in target locations in Iran at Karaj/Dezful/Shiraz/Kermanshah/Maragheh.
- Apply breeding/research techniques and procedures of high complexity and specialization in a specific part of the overall assigned project.
- Assist in the supervision of duties assigned to support staff working in the project, to ensure the techniques are performed or the crops are developed in compliance with established quality standards.
- Participate in tasks that occur during the different stages of the crop cycle assigned to the project.
- Develop a record and report the tasks performed and the results achieved in the assigned project.
- Report any abnormal situations that arise in the development of the project assigned, for immediate correction, to the immediate supervisor.
- Collaborate in field, greenhouse and laboratory tasks as assigned.
- Contribute to the training and updating of knowledge and research techniques to the rest of the staff working in the unit, and keep updated on new research.
- Attend working visits to other CIMMYT field trials and/or research stations.
- Keep a check on inventories of products and materials used and request a replacement when required.
- Verify that machinery, equipment and facilities are in good operating conditions and report any maintenance needed.
- Assure proper archiving and back-up of hard and soft copies of all data-sets in consistent formats.
- Execute preliminary analyses of data (exploratory graphing, transformation of data to adhere to assumptions of normality, analysis of variance, and other more advanced statistical techniques), and assist in report preparation.
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master or Bachelor’s Degree in Plant Breeding, Soil Science and Agronomy. At least 3-4 years of experience in these areas and proven research-conducting and field work and management skills. Prior experience with wheat, maize and other filed crops cultivation is highly desirable.
- Knowledge of Principles of Plant Breeding, Soil Science, Agronomy, Biological Sciences, Experimental Design, Field Management, Farm Machinery & Equipment, etc.
- User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, Advanced Statistical Analysis software, etc.).
- Proficiency in in Persian and English languages.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Teamwork, Communication, Multi-Cultural Awareness, Flexibility/Adaptability, Pro-Activity, Problem Solving, Time Management, Discipline Orientation and Strategic Thinking.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development according to the provisions of the Iranian Labor Law.
Candidates must apply online to IR17117 Assistant Wheat Breeder/Assistant Agronomist. Screening and follow up will begin on 30 November 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Dr. M. R. Jalal Kamali (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Iran.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.