The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the position of Assistant Research Associate to work in the Maize Germplasm Bank in the Genetic Resources Program of CIMMYT.
The CIMMYT Germplasm Bank is committed to providing healthy viable seed and reliable information from the collections of maize and wheat genetic resources held, fulfilling international standards and agreements with trained staff to ensure the compliance of our customers’ requirements and to the ISO9001 norm in order to continually improve the efficiency of our management and service.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Assist the head of CIMMYT’s Maize Germplasm Bank (MGB) to effectively manage the maize collection.
- Organize and supervise field and laboratory activities agreed with the head of the MGB.
- Proactively identify areas for priority attention and/or improvement, with special focus on regeneration activities, including, but not restricted to, cultivation, pollination and harvest practices, agronomic issues, insect and disease incidences, treatments and prevention.
- Together with the head of the MGB, identify, validate and implement new approaches, methods and technologies to increase the effectiveness, and reduce costs of MGB operations.
- Contribute to the management of MGB-relevant genotypic and phenotypic data in institutional databases (GRIN-Global, GeneSys, etc.).
- Contribute to the implementation of a barcode enabled system throughout MGB operations.
- Assist the head of the MGB to establish and implement a strict data quality control on passport, pedigree, characterization and evaluation data.
- Contribute to the Open Access publishing of MGB data.
- Ensure adherence to ISO quality standards in all operations and periodically evaluate the Quality Management System (QMS) to ensure the MGB’s operating processes are working effectively and to identify areas for improvement.
- Contribute to the preparation of reports to donors and management.
- Assist the head of the MGB to identity, monitor and contribute to mitigating against significant risks that may affect the MGB’s mission, performance, and reputation.
- Contribute to training activities and interactions with visitors, and communications mediated through the bank’s displays, internet platforms and webpages. Prepare the routine and special request reports that are required by clients and colleagues.
- Effectively supervise and communicate with the technical staff, fostering strong team spirit, by recognizing and respecting the work of each employee.
- Perform related duties as requested by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Seed Production, Seed Technology or Agronomy, with at least 5 years of experience in these areas or Master’s degree in Seed Production, Seed Technology or Agronomy with at least 2 years of experience.
- Prior experience with maize cultivation is highly desirable.
- Willingness to travel to multiple locations in Central Mexico, where field activities are conducted.
- Advanced practical knowledge of pathogens, insects, soils, fertilization and irrigation.
- User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Advanced level of English. English will be tested and candidate should score a minimum of B2 on CEFR.
- The selected candidate must exhibit high levels in the following competencies: Communication, Conflict Resolution, Multi-Cultural Awareness Sensitivity, Problem Solving, Flexibility/Adaptability, Teamwork, Pro-Activity and Strategic Thinking.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M17153 Assistant Research Associate. Screening and follow up will begin on Monday, 24 April 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (firstname.lastname@example.org).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.