The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking an enthusiastic, organized, and competent Agricultural Development Officer (ADO) to join the Climate Services for Resilient Development (CSRD) project led by the International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center (CIMMYT) in Bangladesh. CSRD is a new USAID-funded initiative to develop systems to deliver improved climate services to farmers, led by CIMMYT in Bangladesh in partnership with the Bangladesh Meteorological Department and Department of Agricultural extension, in addition to a range of international research institutions. CSRD aims to develop new tools, services, and approaches that bridge technology and organizational gaps to strengthen climate resilience through climate services. CSRD has three objectives which the Agricultural Development Officer (ADO) will support.
Objective 1: Development and refinement of impact-based national-scale decision tool platforms to support the Bangladesh Meteorological Department’s Sector 3 agro-meteorology track
Objective 2: Collaborative development and refinement of South Asian regional-scale decision support tools, services, and products
Objective 3: Boosting the capacity of partners in Bangladesh to ensure the progress of the CSRD South Asia and Bangladesh working groups
- Help to coordinate field and desk research activities in support of the CSRD project leader, scientists, and research associates.
- Carry out experimental field work and surveys in multiple locations in Bangladesh.
- Conduct field days and coordinate participatory research activities on aspects related to cropping systems intensification, climate change, and climate services.
- Collect, curate, and analyse field data from experimental trials and from surveys. Data entry, data cleaning, and provision of metadata for all datasets are a core part of this position.
- Lead survey efforts using pen Data Kit (ODK), Surveybe and other electronic survey platforms.
- Conduct informal trainings to NGO, Government of Bangladesh, CBO partners, farmers and service providers in coordination CIMMYT’s senior staff.
- Assist in agronomic and climate field data collection from experiments, observational studies, and surveys as required.
- Interact and organize meetings with various stakeholders and the Department of Agricultural Extension and partners to discuss, streamline and implement agricultural climate services in Bangladesh.
- Facilitate to form partnerships with a wide range of clientele from public and private sector organizations including farmers’ groups.
- Assist monitoring and evaluation of project activities.
- Perform any other job-related duties as instructed by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Minimum M.Sc degree in agricultural sciences, climatology, or agricultural economics, with demonstrated work experience in a similar capacity. Batchelor’s degree holders will be considered if exemplary performance and experience can be demonstrated.
- Demonstrated understanding of agricultural and climate change research issues in Bangladesh.
- Demonstrated experience to effectively communicate and collaborate with farmers in a research capacity.
- Prior experience with agronomic field data collection and use of electronic observational equipment (e.g., soil moisture measurement, LAI, automatic weather stations, etc.).
- Experience with GPS and preferably with GIS, QGIS, or Google Earth.
- Ability to work with a range of partners, including the government of Bangladesh.
- Ability to travel frequently and on demand.
- Ability to work without frequent supervision or guidance, and to deliver work packages on time and with quality.
- Prior experience administering field surveys and field studies.
- Demonstrated experience in administering and overseeing the logistics associated with research projects and programs.
- Computer skills MS Office (outlook, excel, access), SPSS, JMP, R, or other statistical programs, and ability to rapidly learn new software, etc.
- Self-motivation to independently learn and take on complex tasks with self-guidance.
- Physical fitness and ability to engage in field work on farms in rural contexts.
- Ability to travel and undertake fieldwork in rural contexts for extended periods of time.
- Ability to drive motorcycle with valid license.
The position is for Bangladesh Nationals for an initial fixed-term contract of 1 year, which may be renewable subject to continued need and funding for the position and performance of the staff member. CIMMYT will provide a nationally competitive salary and benefits that include comprehensive health and life insurance, paid vacation, contributions to a retirement plan, and a range of other benefits as required by Bangladesh law.
To apply for this position, please email cover letter and CV no later than Wednesday 26 July, 2017 to Human Resources, CIMMYT (Email: CIM-Recruitment-BD@cgiar.org) Please indicate Position Name & Job Ref no- B17119 in the subject of your email.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.