The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking a dynamic, self-motivated, and service-oriented professional for the consultancy of Rural Business and Agricultural Marketing Specialist to work in the Sustainable Intensification Program (SIP) of CIMMYT.
The consultant will contribute to CIMMYT´s Sustainable Intensification strategy, as currently implemented by SIP. This effort aims at ultimately providing better and sustained livelihoods for maize and wheat systems farmers. Embedded into the Farmer Market-Linkage (FML) work stream, the consultant will enhance ongoing activities by bringing to the team expertise and experience in core processes of marketing and rural business management which will lead to small and medium size farmers better organized and connected to markets.
The consultant is expected to spend extensive time during the contract duration in CIMMYT office and field operations in Mérida (Yucatán) and, secondly, in Texcoco (Estado de México).
- Conduct market and value chain specific mapping exercises through participatory approaches and other primary information sourcing methods.
- Implement proven tools and methodologies to scale up the market participation of selected farmers and farmers-groups into target markets.
- Assess and select target (especially niche) markets for maize production systems and their associated crops.
- Assess and plan a strategy to build brand recognition associated to the projects´ target products and famers.
- Stimulate and follow up to specific commercial opportunities for target farmers and products.
- Assess and provide advice to farmers and farmers groups on core rural business management areas, such as: business models, finance and accounting, contract farming or risk management.
- Any other related duty as required by the supervisor.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Agribusiness, Agricultural Economics or any other related fields; in lieu of a Master’s Degree, a Bachelor’s Degree with extensive experience could be accepted.
- At least 4 years of progressive experience in a corporate or non-profit environment.
- Understanding of agricultural value chains and familiarity with Mexican food policies, certifications and regulations.
- Proven experience with agricultural marketing (branding in particular), collective action for market access and agribusiness management (business modeling, finance and accounting, legal advice on contract farming and/or risk management strategies).
- Availability to travel as per project demand to rural areas in the LatAm region.
- Strong ethics and interest in rural development and the promotion of sustainable agrifood systems.
- User advanced level in the usage of MS Office Suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, etc.).
- Intermediate level of English. English will be tested and candidate should score a minimum of C1 on CEFR.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Communication, Teamwork, Relationship Management, Proactivity and Achievement Orientation.
Candidates must apply online to M17165 Rural Business and Agricultural Marketing Specialist Consultancy. Screening and follow up will begin on Thursday, 10 August 2017. For further information on the selection process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (email@example.com).
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.