The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit research and training organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
We are seeking a highly skilled and motivated candidate for the position of Maize CRP Communications Officer in the Corporate Communications Program based in Texcoco, Mexico.
The CGIAR Research Program MAIZE (CRP MAIZE, or MAIZE) Communications Officer will provide communications support to MAIZE’s fundraising, partnerships and strategic aims in maize research for development by: (1) promoting a positive image among relevant external audiences for the work of MAIZE and (secondarily) CIMMYT’s Global Maize Program (GMP); and (2) providing diverse communications services – including writing, editing and media relations – for those programs.
The communications officer will be a member of the Corporate Communications team (reporting to the head of communications and the CRP MAIZE Manager) and work closely with global partners and communicators to:
- Formulate, implement, monitor and revise an annual workplan for CRP MAIZE communications to measurably further strategic aims in maize research-for-development.
- Support and advise the CRP MAIZE Manager in his communications and outreach with external audiences, including:
– Being responsible for the CRP MAIZE technical and ‘marketing’ annual reports.
– Being responsible for the content of the CRP MAIZE website.
– Being responsible for the MAIZE bi-monthly Newsletter
- Liaise with IITA to exploit existing relationships with journalists, publications, and key players in agricultural development circles to foster a positive perception of MAIZE among diverse external audiences.
- Helping to develop and update MAIZE communication assets such as brochures, PowerPoint presentations, boilerplate descriptions and key messages.
- Liaise with CIMMYT communicators in regional offices working in maize related projects and act as focal point to gather content and contribute to build a ‘maize communications team’ across regions.
- Managing MAIZE’s social media efforts (Facebook, other) with help of junior consultant (if applicable)
- Identify, document, produce and help leverage compelling success stories and positive reports about work on maize for diverse audiences and formats.
- Help to provide segmented audiences (e.g., policymakers, research directors, media, and general public) with timely and pertinent information highlighting the relevance of the maize research agenda to public concerns.
- Communicate, educate and increase the awareness of development partners about MAIZE outcomes and impacts via diverse media (the web and social media, publications, policy papers, trial summaries, germplasm information, photo essays, etc.).
- Edit technical publications such as journal articles, working papers, project reports, funding proposals and training materials.
- Conduct media relations, including assistance to journalists for interviews and taking part in media campaigns.
- Provide messages and presentations for MAIZE and CIMMYT management, meeting reports, other internal documents.
- Provide guidance and mentorship to junior consultant in communications working for MAIZE CRP, if applicable.
- Other duties as agreed.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Master’s Degree in Journalism, Communications, or related discipline (a bachelor’s degree with relevant experience will be considered).
- Between 3 and 5 years of experience in science communications, marketing, public relations, media campaigns, and/or non-profit communications.
- Non-profit organization experience or demonstrated understanding of the non-profit and/or agricultural research for development environments.
- Clear grasp of communications strategies and creativity in applying them to raise awareness of CIMMYT’s activities and achievements.
- Ability to express technical concepts in clear and simple language for diverse audiences, including the general public.
- Proficiency in English, including ability to interact confidently with colleagues and external. Knowledge of an additional language is desirable but not required.
- Proficiency in use of social networking and new media tools.
- Conflict resolution
- Relationship Management
- Problem Solving
The position is for an initial fixed-term for three (3) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, car, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS17122 Maize CRP Communications Officer.
Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday, 18th August 2017. Incomplete applications (CV and Cover Letter) will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Diana Gómez, at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality,
teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.