The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is looking for a database administrator to help us manage the increasing volumes of data, and to be a proactive part of our IT team. The work covers transactional databases, ETL layers, and data warehouses with linkage to advanced analytical options, but it also expands into managing other types of data in non-SQL databases and using high performance computing to process the data. As such the position offers opportunities to work with modern and challenging database solutions.
In addition, security threats and cyber security attacks is an increasing concern and the database administrator will also be involved in improving our security posture and help safeguard our data.
The database administrator will be part of an experienced IT team, which includes both Mexican and international IT specialists, and a good level of English is required to be an effective team member.
The position is based at CIMMYT’s campus in Texcoco, State of Mexico, located 45 km northeast of Mexico City, Mexico.
- Perform needs analyses to define opportunities for new or improved business process solutions.
- Consult with customers to identify and specify requirements.
- Develop overall functional and systems requirements and specifications.
- Prepare business cases for the application of ICT solutions.
- Ensure the integration of all systems components; e.g., procedures, databases, policies, hardware, and software.
- Design, develop, and maintain database management systems that meet current and future business requirements of the organization and its customers.
- Monitor and optimize database performance and tune database operations.
- Generate complex queries and reports.
- Participate in the design of data mining and data warehousing systems.
- Define and allocate storage capacity in the design of database management systems.
- Develop data dictionaries, data models, metadata repositories, and other data management tools.
- Define database access methods.
- Assist software developers to develop application programs.
- Assist the IT Unit to develop database management standards and procedures based on best practices.
- Create backup and restore plans.
- Work closely with software developers and system administrators to maintain all DB environments.
- Ensure that better performance and data integrity is maintained by making changes in physical and/or logical schema if required.
- Ensure the rigorous application of information security/ information assurance policies, principles, and practices to the systems analysis process and database administration.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Systems Engineering or Computer Sciences.
- Minimum 5 years’ experience in similar role or activities.
- Knowledge of and skills in applying:
- Infrastructure requirements, such as bandwidth and server sizing.
- Database management concepts, principles, and methods including database logical and physical design, normalization, storage capacity management, and backup and recovery.
- Database management systems, query languages, table relationships, and views.
- Data mining and data warehousing principles.
- The characteristics of physical and virtual data storage media.
- Database administration and data standardization policies and standards.
- Proficiency in all aspects of Postgresql.
- Experience in implementing flow pipelines to integrate database changes, test and deliver to production environments.
- Experience with MySQL, SQL SERVER 2012/2014, and NoSQL databases.
- Experience with ETL and data warehouse creation.
- Experience in Performance Tuning and Optimization of SQL Queries.
- Advanced level of English. English will be tested and candidate should score a minimum of C1 on CEFR.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Achievement Orientation, Problem Solving, Multi-Cultural Awareness/Sensitivity, Communication, Pro-activity, Teamwork, Flexibility/Adaptability, and Project Management.
- The candidate must exhibit sense of urgency and commitment to his responsibilities and deadlines.
CIMMYT offers an attractive remuneration package and support for continuous professional development. In addition to the provisions of the Mexican Labor Law our package of benefits includes year-end bonus (40 days), vacation premium (56%), life and medical insurance, supermarket coupons, savings fund, social Mexican benefits (IMSS, SAR / Infonavit).
Candidates must apply online to M18131 Database Administrator. Screening and follow up will begin on Wednesday, 07 March 2018. For more information on the recruitment process, please contact Ricardo Pérez (email@example.com).
Please note only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
Foreign national candidates must have legal documents to work in Mexico.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.