The International Maize and Wheat Improvement Center, known by its Spanish acronym, CIMMYT®, is a not-for-profit agricultural research for development organization with partners in over 100 countries. Please refer to our website for more information: www.cimmyt.org
CIMMYT is seeking an innovative, self-motivated, and flexible professional for the position of Capacity Development and Learning Expert to work in the Sustainable Intensification Program. The selected candidate will lead an initiative in South Asia, aiming at reaching impact at scale of agricultural sustainable intensification innovations through high quality capacity building of stakeholders. The selected candidate will be responsible, in coordination with the South Asia CIMMYT team, to lead and implement a scaling strategy through capacity building of partners including: 1) NGOs, Universities, Extension Services; 2) private sector agricultural machinery importers, manufacturers, distributers and retailers; 3) financial service providers and other agencies that can reduce risks associated with adoption of new technologies and crop management practices.
The position will based in Bangladesh, India, or Nepal.
- Set up and maintain a repository of capacity development materials on sustainable intensification technologies.
- Identification of capacity needs across all levels through a rapid gap assessment of currently engaged partners and stakeholders.
- Development of Capacity Development (CD) strategy and implementation plan in collaboration with partners.
- Support partners with implementation of CD strategy (planning, budgeting, implementation) including quality control of capacity development efforts.
- Identification and backstopping of suitable trainers, and consultants, for topics identified in the needs assessment.
- Monitoring, Evaluation and Learning on scaling processes through capacity building (define and monitor specific indicators to monitor adoption and scaling, and develop an associated monitoring and results measurement system to inform adaptive management for scaling within the context of CASI).
- Capacity development of partners around scaling and M&E&L for scaling.
Required academic qualifications, skills and attitudes:
- Post-graduate degree in capacity development, agricultural extension, monitoring and results measurement, adult education or any other relevant field.
- At least 10 years’ proven experience in designing and implementing of capacity development program with specific focus on agricultural technology adoption, institutional development at local level/regional level in a developing country context.
- Knowledgeable about state of the art theories on scaling and proven ability to work beyond plot level on issues related to the enabling environment for large scale adoption.
- Solid understanding of agricultural development theories and processes in South Asia.
- Demonstrated ability to align agricultural value chains and work with the private sector in business model development.
- Ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Excellent data and information collection skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and analytical skills.
- Knowledge and demonstrated ability to work in different cultural contexts, with awareness of cultural sensitivities and processes in Bangladesh, India, and Nepal.
- Excellent English writing skills.
- Computer literate, in Word, Excel and Power Point and able to set up an online database of training materials.
- Understanding of database structure and development to track scaling and for monitoring and evaluation purposes.
- Experience with ICT and e-learning in agriculture would be a plus.
- The selected candidate must exhibit the following competencies: Decision Making, Multicultural Awareness/Sensitivity, Strategic Thinking and Time Management.
The position is for an initial fixed-term for two (2) years, after which further employment is subject to performance and the continued availability of funds. CIMMYT’s internationally competitive salary and benefits include housing allowance, comprehensive health and life insurance, assistance for children’s education, paid vacation, annual airfare, contribution to a retirement plan, and generous assistance with relocation shipment.
Candidates must apply here for IRS17131 Capacity Development and Learning Expert. Screening and follow up of applications will begin on Friday December 22, 2017. Applications must include a CV and a letter of interest. Incomplete applications will not be taken into consideration. For further information on the selection process, please contact Yessica Castillo, at email@example.com.
Please note that only short-listed candidates will be contacted.
This position will remain open until filled.
CIMMYT is an equal opportunity employer. It fosters a multicultural work environment that values gender equality, teamwork, and respect for diversity. Women are encouraged to apply.